Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-04-2010, 07:00 AM   #21
JRM
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: If you were buying new drone reeds, what kind would you buy?

Canning, Crozier, Selbie, Kinnairds have been staples to me for a while and cover just about every brand I have come across. I'm trying out MG reeds lately to see how they go in a variety of pipes

Each pipe will respond differently to each brand. Not every brand gives optimal tonal characteristics in every pipe. Not everyone will like the same tonal characteristics either.
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-04-2010, 07:06 AM   #22
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Hubbard View Post
If you were buying a new set of drone reeds today, what kind would you buy, and why?
For synthetics, Rockets. Why? Because I've tried nearly everything else (Shepards [various types], Wygents [various types], Ross, Eezes, Croziers, MG, Hendersons, Omegas, Kinnairds, Selbies, Spitfires, Silversonics are the ones I can recall) and if you have a bore that Rockets are designed for, they're the best. In my opinion.

I also love cane reeds, too.

Best, John
Old 02-04-2010, 07:21 AM   #23
badrone

What would the recommendations be for a set of new style Peter Hendersons, I wonder? Anyone has success with this combination? Please see previous thread I started under technique. 'New pipes, bass drone problem'.

I've already tried the comments that folks have given!!

Last edited by badrone; 02-04-2010 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Blind, drunk and can't spell !
Old 02-04-2010, 09:03 AM   #24
Gord MacDonald
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrone View Post
What would the recommendations be for a set of new style Peter Hendersons, I wonder? Anyone has success with this combination? Please see previous thread I started under technique. 'New pipes, bass drone problem'.

I've already tried the comments that folks have given!!
A set of PH1A's just arrived at the shop yesterday, they sounded the nicest with Cannings.

Cheers,

Gord
Old 02-04-2010, 09:26 AM   #25
Jim Nisbet
Forum Regular

I play old (WW1-WW2 era) Henderson drones. A number of years ago I tried the Selbies and have never looked back. Brand new right out of the box they can sound a bit tinny/synthetic, but in a matter of 3-4 weeks they mellow VERY nicely, are rock steady, and allow for very finite tuning. I've had them mistaken for canes many times in the open solos. I have not yet run across a bagpipe they don't really sound great in yet. Big fan of the Selbies.

Jim
Old 02-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #26
Z_Piper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

[QUOTE=badrone;1087390]What would the recommendations be for a set of new style Peter Hendersons, I wonder? Anyone has success with this combination? Please see previous thread I started under technique. 'New pipes, bass drone problem'.

I have modern Hendersons and use Canning tenors and a cane bass. Sounds great and everything tunes where it should. I used the Canning bass for a while; it work well and sounded good. Also sounds good with EZ tenors.
Z_Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #27
Gene Mitchell
Forum Gold Medal

Send a message via AIM to Gene Mitchell

I would say Ezee tenors and Husk cane bass worked for every set I have owned. I find the Husk cane bass to be just as predictable and reliable as any synthetic I tried as well. Plus of course you get the benefit of minimal air consumption.

Gene Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote