Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #1
badrone

Default New pipes, bass drone problem.

I recently purchased a new set of pipes from a well known manufacturer. With them I purchased a new set of ezeedrone reeds. The tenors are essentially fine and tuning slightly above the hemp.

The problem is the bass drone. It feels like the reed is taking too much air, but they are not. A very slight adjustment made them stop.

I have checked the bag for leaks, its also brand new and air tight.

To have the top bass section in the correct tuning position, (in or around the hemp line) means the bottom section is completely shut down to the projecting mount and still out of tune.

I have tried my SM90 bass reed from my older pipes which worked fine. But in the new pipes its same result. More recently I even tried a cane reed.

The only way I managed to get some degree of tuning was to move the top section of the bass down the tuning slide. IS THIS NORMAL??
Could anyone suggest something I've probably overlooked. Hope you can help!

Last edited by badrone; 02-03-2010 at 07:57 AM. Reason: wrong word and didn't make sense.
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: New pipes, bass drone problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrone View Post
The only way I managed to get some degree of tuning was to move the top section of the bass down the tuning slide.
If possible, the bass drone reed needs to be adjusted to a sharper pitch so you can raise the bottom section of your bass drone. You've already moved the bridle, have you screwed in the adjusting screw?

Best, John
Old 02-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Paul Ouellette
Forum Clasp

Badrone : If your EZ Bass is tuning down on the projecting mount, you clearly have some adjustments to do...

1) Cut that rubber thingy off the Bass drone top & replace it with some plain yellow hemp that has been slightly moistened with a wee bit of elmer's white glue. Be sure that the reed is "all the way" into the reed seat of the drone, up to "the shoulder" of the reed.

2) Adjust the bridle of the reed...be very aware that an "angel's breath" of a change has a huge effect on the reed's performance.

3) Turn the screw at the bottom of the reed "into" the reed a bit further.

All these adjustments will have the effect of sharpening the reed & so you'll need to flatten off the drone to bring it into tune.

Hopefully, doing all the above will correct the situation for you...however, if not...

Try another brand of bass drone reed, since it would appear that your pipe is set up according to an older (flatter) design & you may need a reed that is designed to correct the "too low on the pin" situation.

Good luck to you.

P.
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
Paul M Burke
Holy smoking keyboard!

What Paul said.

With one caveat, rarely with a very sharp reed, or one that is all the way in and the tuning screw is all the way in, the drones seek to far out on the pins, as this is not a natural or usual position many pipers would not tune them out this far. Not a common occurrence but it can happen. Then the inverse of Paul`s advice may need to be applied.

Paul.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
JRM
Holy smoking keyboard!

Some manufacturers have a bass drone that is lower pitched than others. Some have also made modifications to their designs in the last couple years. For instance Naill pipes now have a lower pitched bass and require a bass reed to suit. Many pipemakers never stop tinkering with their designs.

Just because the reed stops sounding does not necessarily mean it is not still taking air. It has been known to happen, and some brands of reeds take less air than others. If you have ruled out all other possibilities, try a different bass reed that you know works well and see what happens with the amount of air it takes.
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
acadianpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I find that the EZdrone Short Bass Reed (higher pitched than the regular-length reed) works well in a bass drone that tends to tune low on the pin. You can get it in both regular and inverted styles.
acadianpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
pipesofdoom
Holy smoking keyboard!

a reed set on the verge of "not stopping" can still take too much air. it's a function of the back-pressure of the air column in the drone, the bore dimension, and the properties of the reed itself. try the adjustments recommeded above, and try some other bass drone reeds. try a cane bass too, since this will give you a bench-mark for air-efficiency (cane's about as good as it gets there).
Old 02-04-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
badrone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ouellette View Post
Badrone : If your EZ Bass is tuning down on the projecting mount, you clearly have some adjustments to do...

1) Cut that rubber thingy off the Bass drone top & replace it with some plain yellow hemp that has been slightly moistened with a wee bit of elmer's white glue. Be sure that the reed is "all the way" into the reed seat of the drone, up to "the shoulder" of the reed.

2) Adjust the bridle of the reed...be very aware that an "angel's breath" of a change has a huge effect on the reed's performance.

3) Turn the screw at the bottom of the reed "into" the reed a bit further.

All these adjustments will have the effect of sharpening the reed & so you'll need to flatten off the drone to bring it into tune.

Hopefully, doing all the above will correct the situation for you...however, if not...

Try another brand of bass drone reed, since it would appear that your pipe is set up according to an older (flatter) design & you may need a reed that is designed to correct the "too low on the pin" situation.

Good luck to you.

P.
Thanks for that paul. Appreciate your comments, but I've tried it all. I've already tried 3 different reeds, ez, sm90 and more recently a cane. Only ez has the tuning screw. What could you do to a cane to achieve what you suggesting above. The bridal has been put into a position that it works without stopping, but a slight twitch the other way and it will stop, I've tried it. PH pipes, brand new late last year, but don't trust them to play at functions. Currently gone back to my old ones which are fine with the same reeds. I know what I'm doing with the reeds and drones in regards to adjustment, but I just don't get it . Beginning to wish I'd never bought them!
Old 02-04-2010, 08:17 AM   #9
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Sounds like you have a very flat bass drone! Have you checked that the drone isn't the problem? Things like, they didn't forget to turn the bell under the bush...

I'm just taking stabs in the dark, it's tough when they aren't sitting right in front of you.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #10
Z_Piper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

badrone, Do you have an electronic tuner? Just curious, what is your bass tuning at when it is all the way down on the mount?
Z_Piper is offline   Reply With Quote