Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-21-2012, 07:12 AM   #21
vantec08
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Selbie Drone Reeds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewz Dronez View Post
I might add at this point that I usually dispense with the rubber thingies on the reeds where they go into the drone sockets and replace them with black waxed hemp. I do this with all the drones reeds that have the rubber thingies on, not just with the Selbies. It makes them much firmer in the socket and of course, air tight. It also makes it much easier to adjust the seating depth if you need that little bit extra adjustment. Can't stress enough the importance of having air tight pipes, and the reed seats are often overlooked in this area - oh and chanter reeds too!

you might have something there with the rubber bushings. I have had to cement a couple down to stay in place.
vantec08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #22
Gene Mitchell
Forum Gold Medal

Send a message via AIM to Gene Mitchell

Selbie reeds are such a complete set. I have played them in mccallums, dunbars, gibsons, and strathmores. All went really well. I just purchased a set for my MacPhersons and Im hopjng for the same results.

Gene Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #23
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

I think Selbies are one of the most under rated synthetics on the market. I've also found them to be absolutely excellent in any pipe I've tried them in.

As for the rubber on the reed seat end. If they don't fit snug and perfectly in your reed seats, then by all means cut them carefully off and use black or yellow waxed hemp.

Shawn

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote