Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-26-2017, 06:41 PM   #31
Scot Kortegaard
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Phones in Scotland

Thanks for all the input folks - much appreciated. As to all the rest of the conversation, not useful - but thanks for that too

I'm not sure which way I'll go just yet, though I do like the idea of "WhatsApp". Last time over, we used wifi w/FB Messenger a fair bit, and that worked. Would like the option of the cell network if needed though. We'll see ...

Have a good evening folks, and thanks again.
Scot.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:51 AM   #32
Randy McIntosh
Holy smoking keyboard!

Why don't you just use your ordinary phone?

I'm heading over this summer and that is what I plan on doing as it will only be for emergency communications. I will not be using data (unless it is an emergency and the taxi driver can't find the pub) nor sitting on the phone talking and texting all day. So I figure maybe $15 extra on my bill for the 2 weeks away.

I do this when on holiday down in the Caribbean and for my usage costs a little over a buck a day..
Old 02-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #33
ChampionBagpipe
Forum Regular

I have bought phones from Carphone Warehouse, and they can sell you a SIM card for only 1 or 2 pounds. Loads of people in our band buy them to use on the trip, and share with others when they can't make the journey.

https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/
Old 02-28-2017, 03:25 PM   #34
dwindbag
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I go to the UK 4/5 times a year for twof weeks. About half of those trips include a visit to RBS in Edinburgh. I have been doing it for 7+ years. I'm on my 2nd UK phone. Inexpensive local phone and local sim card (carphone warehouse). The rule varies by carrier, but if you use it once very ___ months, the number stays active. My customers have my UK number and it has not changed.

They have this cool thing called 'pay as you go'. Each time I leave I make sure there is 10GBP in my acct. When I land and make a call, it debits my account and it works. I 'top-up' the account as some point during the trip.

One other cool feature from the EU. Incoming calls are free. I have a skype2go number set up with a local US number that rings my phone there. I pay cheap skype minutes and the incoming is free.
dwindbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:13 AM   #35
SquintingPatrick
Forum Clasp

The last time I was there, I had Verizon set up my phone in the US for the UK network beforehand. It costs $10 USD a day if you invoke mobile data, and otherwise no extra cost on WiFi. There were some minor complications but got sorted out on the first day. It is not just a phone anymore, but also your map and compass, which comes in handy when you are navigating the Glasgow cityscape. It is, of course, also a camera and a video recorder. You've got to have that in Scotland, and at the Worlds too. It is also a metronome, a bagpipe tuner, and a collection of books, among other things.

Having said that, I bought a cheap phone with a sim card when I was last in China, and I did not miss my regular phone. It was good to be free from all that once in a while, so that I wasn't stopping every few seconds to take pictures, missing the real thing for the digital version. I got lost on a regular basis too. Part of the charm of international travelling.
SquintingPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:11 AM   #36
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

And that is kind of my point. If you need all the bells and whistles AND if those require data access, then that's one issue and it comes at a cost.

If all you need is a phone then buying a cheap one locally would be better.

For example, my family will be in the U.K. for a month. I am not going to pay $10 per day for a data plan. I don't have an iPhone anyway. I'll buy a cheap phone and use wireless when possible on my version of a technological pacifier - iPad. It does have a cell capabilities, but I'll likely never use it.

Charlie
Old 03-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #37
John Haack
Forum Gold Medal

Call your current carrier before you buy something. It's the texts that'll get you if you don't pay attention. Unless you need to make actual phone calls.

My son's off to Germany for 3 weeks.

Verizon offers

1...a $40 add-on for a month. It's 100 talk minutes plus 100 texts sent/received.
He's a teenager. My guess, even though they plan to use WhatsApp....he'll get more than 100 texts.

2...$10 per 24 hour period to match our current plan (unlimited phone, texts, and access to our shared data plan). If you don't make a call or send/receive a text in a 24 hour period....no charge. Turn off LTE on your phone....or most phones you just put it in airplane mode and then turn wifi back on LTE should be off. If you do that....and don't make a call or turn on LTE again....you won't spend a dime.

We're going with the $10/24 hour period. This gives him any emergency access to telephone. His texts aren't that important to him. Unless he needs to make a call....he might not ever even wind up 'turning it on' for a 24 hour period the whole time he's there.

Last edited by John Haack; 03-03-2017 at 11:03 AM.
John Haack is offline   Reply With Quote