Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-16-2018, 06:03 PM   #1
celtickc86
Forum Member

Default Bottom zipper vs. side zipper

I was just wondering what the difference is between a side zipper and a bottom zipper on the pipe bag? What difference does zipper location make?
Why are bottom-zip Bannatynes more expensive than side-zip Bannatynes of the same size.
Just curious...
celtickc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #2
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Default Re: Bottom Zipper vs Side Zipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtickc86 View Post
I was just wondering what the difference is between a side zipper and a bottom zipper on the pipe bag? What difference does zipper location make?

Why are bottom-zip Bannatynes more expensive than side-zip Bannatynes of the same size.

Just curious...

I would imagine zipper length plays into the difference.

I think some people may be sensitive to the feeling of the zipper on the inside of the arm

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
https://www.facebook.com/DamhCabrach
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:41 PM   #3
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

I have a guess that the bottom zip might be cheaper because it runs along an existing seem, though that's just a guess.

As far as function goes, you'll probably be ok with either.
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:38 PM   #4
Greenpipe
Forum Clasp

I have both. I can't say there is any benefit to one over the other either than that on my band pipes the bag cover on the bottom zip bag has an end velcro fastener and zipper bottom so I can unzip both cover and bag and get to the innards, to put in a pair of sunglasses or a change purse before the parade starts, e.g., without rolling back the cover. Oh yes, and ditto if the MCS bottle comes loose.

I have never carried a can of beer in my bag, though have seen it done. Bottom zip would be a lot handier dispenser than side zip. I have, however, carried same in my feather bonnet in the bad old days before we got rid of the bloody things.

As far as playing is concerned, I have never noticed a scintilla of difference.
Greenpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:19 PM   #5
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Bottom Zipper vs Side Zipp

With a bottom zipper, I refilled the 2L foil bag from a boxwine with cold beer and fitted the dispensing valve thru a collar at the rear of my Large syn bag.
Cool on hot parades to keep me and the pipe section hydrated and the reeds are still dry. I致e known drummers to keep the same type bota in false drum bottoms.

el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:46 AM   #6
jackhawkpiper97
Forum Clasp

The point of the bottom zipper is for players for whom the side zipper was pressing against their arms and being uncomfortable. As for price difference, I would speculate putting a zipper where there is already an airtight seal and seam might be more work than just putting a zipper on an otherwise plain piece of fabric (side zip)
Jack
Old 09-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #7
Buzz (not that one)
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Bottom zipper vs. side zipper

I've played both and prefer the bottom zipper simply because I had a bag where the side zipper would dig into my arm a little bit. Other than that, I can think of no pro or con to differentiate between the two.