Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-23-2018, 12:28 AM   #21
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Shouldn't there be threads in drone seats??

Fwiw...Having the reed shoulder abutting the wood of the tenon can cause a dulling of the harmonic vibrations of the reed. Best to keep it ...at least a small distance clear ..1/16 or more as might be needed to get the correct pitch from the seated reed.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-23-2018, 04:24 AM   #22
3D Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Fwiw...Having the reed shoulder abutting the wood of the tenon can cause a dulling of the harmonic vibrations of the reed. Best to keep it ...at least a small distance clear ..1/16 or more as might be needed to get the correct pitch from the seated reed.
I have never heard this, in fact at some workshops instructors specifically say to try and seat the shoulder of the reed onto all the way in flat against the drone.
How would you deal with cane reeds that have no shoulder?

-Matthew
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:10 AM   #23
Greenpipe
Forum Clasp

One wants a damping insulation, hemp, between the wood of the drone and the hard reed so that the vibrations of the reed do not interfere with the vibrations of the drone and vice versa. Cane reeds have no shoulder so one just hemps down so there is a bit showing after the reed is fully inserted.
Greenpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:25 AM   #24
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

On conical bores: if it is good enough for mating components on metal lathes spinning at thousands of RPM under load, it is good enough for us.

The key is properly hemping the reed tenon so that it actually mates with the reed seat.

While I am all in favour of new ideas, I think it is a good idea to not assume that all pipemakers and reedmakers are idiots who need the benefit of our expertise. Go up to the Northern Meeting and ask everyone playing Ezeedrones if they have "tapped their reed seats".

What they have done is stripped off the rubber coating and built up the hemp to mate closely with the walls of their reed seats until they are confident they have a secure fit.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:57 AM   #25
Kelly the boy from...
Forum Member

I really don't want to poke the bear or stir up the hornet's nest on this, but in all of the the anti-tap posts, I haven't seen one good reason why not. Other than, you don't have to if you do it right in the first place. Inded the pipe makers are not idiots but are all of the rest of us? Is there only one way to do it? I've had a grade 1 PM tell our band to do it. Why, beacuse it works? Is he an idiot too? Is it just possible that both ways work? One way for some, and another way for others. Or, heavan forbid, you tap your bass drone, but don't tap your tenors. Oh the horror! I've come to realize that the opinions given by another piper on virtually any topic is just like his nose, everyone has one and they all smell. Other body parts are used in this saying as well.

How's that for stirring the pot? Warmest regards and best wisshes to everyone.
Kelly the boy from... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:10 PM   #26
Greenpipe
Forum Clasp

Keeping a set of pipes going is equal parts science, experience and voodoo. One of my sets has tapped drones, one doesn't. None of the reeds fall out, probably because I make the sign of the raised middle finger every time I stick a drone into the stock. This keeps the reed-loosening demons at bay.
Greenpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:22 AM   #27
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Be careful tapping your own threads. Make sure they do NOT extend beyond the reed seat and into part of the bore that won't be covered by the reed. I have seen a set that had the threads tapped too deeply, and it made the drones impossible to lock in. I've owned and played many sets, and I've never had a problem getting my reeds to seat firmly and reliably without altering the reed seats.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:20 AM   #28
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

[A Very Partial QUOTE... from CalumII]

The key is properly hemping the reed tenon so that it actually mates with the reed seat.

Go up to the Northern Meeting and ask everyone playing Ezeedrones if they have "tapped their reed seats".

What they have done is stripped off the rubber coating and built up the hemp to mate closely with the walls of their reed seats until they are confident they have a secure fit.

[/QUOTE]

Greetings to All,

Unless I again... mis-rember... were not our Great Beasts
played... for hundreds and hundreds of years(!!)... ere this
"tapping of reed seats"... and for drone or chanter... came
into our view?

I, too, am ever for.. well-founded innovation... and progress...
and the making of our playing... and our lives... a bit easier...
but...and at the same time... I would both deplore and decry...
our being eased into... losing... The Arts of Our Fathers... :(
and especially... for the younger ones... just coming up...

Regards to All,

Pi01

Last edited by Pip01; 09-24-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:58 AM   #29
3D Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bell View Post
Be careful tapping your own threads. Make sure they do NOT extend beyond the reed seat and into part of the bore that won't be covered by the reed. I have seen a set that had the threads tapped too deeply, and it made the drones impossible to lock in.
(NOT picking on Dan)
Wait a second.. In another thread it is mentioned internal bore smoothness doesn't matter.. In fact the OP said he has quite the groove in his and most responses are that it shouldn't affect it. If that is true, how would a few threads deeper than the reed seat affect the sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip01
I would both deplore and decry...
our being eased into... losing... The Arts of Our Fathers...
and especially... for the younger ones... just coming up...
(NOT picking on Pip01)
Yes, we need to adhere to teaching the kids the value of chewing leather blowpipe valves to get them moist so they will keep a seal before we can even start playing..

-Matthew

Last edited by 3D Piper; 09-24-2018 at 11:02 AM.
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:24 PM   #30
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yep...smooth(ness) in a bore is important and a relative term...from eggshell smooth to polished glass....but introduce a crease or peak and valley from tapping is asking for trouble.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote