Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-30-2018, 07:45 PM   #1
Mark Brody
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Bagpipes for wet conditions

One of my hobbies (aside from piping) is WWII reenacting. Every year in Conneaut, Ohio is a D-Day re-enactment. Someday, Iíd like to storm the beaches of Lake Erie playing the pipes a la Bill Millin.

Thereís always the chance of being dropped in deep water, tripping in the water, or (heaven forbid) the landing craft sinking while Iím onboard. Iím looking into a full set of poly pipes, obviously, but what about everything else? What kind of reeds (chanter and drone) should I be looking for? Does it matter what kind of bag I have?

Iím interested both in short term and long term sustainability. Would any setup work if I trip in the water and find myself completely submerged if only for a moment, or is the best I can hope for a setup that will still play perfectly well after a few days of drying out?
Mark Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-30-2018, 08:00 PM   #2
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Default Re: Bagpipes for wet conditions

Scottish ones lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:03 AM   #3
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

It seems like if your drones are inundated with water they're not going to function... Even just condensation will tend to choke out reeds.

If you get a poly McCallum pipe it will come with a Canmore bag, and a set of MG reeds. If the MG reeds get soaked they probably won't work for a few days. Some of the completely synthetic reeds like Kinnaird (resin body and CF tongue) will work again immediately if you shake the water out of them and wipe the tongues. But Achiltibuie Highland Drone Reeds are pretty much impossible to choke out.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:08 PM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

The new Mccallum- Grossart ( MG) white Mamba reeds ....
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:12 PM   #5
Greenpipe
Forum Clasp

And carry some long Q tips, a pull through (piece of cloth tied on a string with a nail as a weight) and a dry cloth all in a zip lock bag.
Greenpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:48 PM   #6
Greenpipe
Forum Clasp

Just noticed that my posts have stayed at 807 for some time. How do I contact management?

And now the last 2 posts are 808
Greenpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:08 PM   #7
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

In my experience, Henderson Harmonic II reeds can be totally soaked and keep playing- just take them out, blow the water out , plug them back in and continue playing. Selbies can be handled the same way. If I were planning to wade ashore in a re-enactment, I'd probably use poly pipes and a Goretex bag, but I'd keep a played-in chanter reed or two in a ziplock bag or other watertight container in a handy pocket.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:44 PM   #8
3D Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Get some o-ring dunbars w/ synth bag and cork everything up until you land.. You could drop them in water and I bet everything inside would stay dry! Once you have landed pull the corks and start playing!

-Matthew
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:56 PM   #9
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Piper View Post
...Once you have landed pull the corks and start playing!
Kind of like GIs putting prophylactics over their gun muzzles to keep the water out on D-Day

Apparently, there are some "schools" of Civil War (the N.American one) re-enactors who will harp on details to the nth-degree, down to sewing stitches in their uniforms. For them, poly pipes in WW2 would be . Wouldn't give you the full Bill Millin experience, I guess.
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:46 AM   #10
Mark Brody
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Yeah, we call them ďstitch nazis.Ē We all take shortcuts somewhere. Most wear gas brassards made of cloth, because paper ones would need to be replaced after every re-enactment (especially if it gets wet). Most people will do what they can to discretely ditch a few layers of wool. Itís about 50įF in Normandy in June. Itís closer to 100į with 95% humidity in Georgia.

If I look correct when youíre standing 10Ē away, Iím good with that. Sometimes, ABW is so dark, I practically need to be holding it to know if itís plastic or wood. My own ABW pipes are not quite that dark.
Mark Brody is offline   Reply With Quote