Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-29-2019, 02:39 PM   #1
MichiganGaidar
Forum Regular

Default Kinnaird Edge vs. Evolution

Well, I suppose this was bound to happen... I have inched up in chanter strength to a point where I can no longer use "easy" Kinnairds. I quite like the power and stability afforded by Kinnaird Evolution reeds, but they did require a bit of fiddling to work well in my drones - the bass had to be weakened considerably to match the tenors, and that reduced the tuning stability.

I am thinking of killing two birds with one stone and getting a set of Kinnaird Edge drone reeds, but my local supplier is apparently not impressed with them... Would anyone with experience with the Edge reeds be willing to offer their thoughts? I can't imagine Kinnaird putting out a dodgy product.
MichiganGaidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-29-2019, 02:45 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Kinnaird Edge vs Evolution

You could also ask kinnsrd for a set of the stronger tongues to replace the easys.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:48 PM   #3
MichiganGaidar
Forum Regular

Problem being, I had to fiddle to match the bass and tenors for strength to a point where the bass drifts away from the tenors. I'd rather have maximum stability.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:18 PM   #4
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Iím a bit confused why they would be mismatched for strength across bass and tenor. Thereís not a lot of room for adjustment, within the lines anyway; surely itís not too onerous? Anyways, count me in as not impressed with the Edge.

If you like the Evos, I would just get the regular strength tongues.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:52 PM   #5
MichiganGaidar
Forum Regular

The bass reed bridle had to be moved beyond the setup marks to match the tenors' factory settings, resulting in a bass which behaves and "feels" somewhat different from the tenors. I'm a stickler for drones that are rock-steady relative to each other, and consider that the foundation of producing good tone, so getting regular-strength tongues for the Evolutions is not a desirable fix.

I've thinned my collection of drone reeds and paraphernalia to only include stuff that, in my opinion, passed muster... unfortunately, that also means I no longer have the option of going through a number of sets of reeds to find the optimal ones to suit my now-stronger chanter reed. There's always Ezee, but they can start to sound a bit dull to my ear.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:04 PM   #6
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Have you considered that the easy strength tongues *might* be the compromised accommodation and that thereís no balance problem between regular (normal) Evo tongues?

I have only tested regular Evos and I never noticed any problems other than their buzz.

You say you donít believe Kinnaird would put out a dodgy product while simultaneously claiming their bass and tenor easy tongues arenít matched for strength. But somehow you think their Edge reeds will be just the ticket.

Well, hopefully more will chime in with their experience with Edge reeds. Iíve stated the details of my experience elsewhere somewhere on here or the blog. I know others have done so as well.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:31 PM   #7
MichiganGaidar
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Have you considered that the easy strength tongues *might* be the compromised accommodation and that there’s no balance problem between regular (normal) Evo tongues?

I have only tested regular Evos and I never noticed any problems other than their buzz.

You say you don’t believe Kinnaird would put out a dodgy product while simultaneously claiming their bass and tenor easy tongues aren’t matched for strength. But somehow you think their Edge reeds will be just the ticket.

Well, hopefully more will chime in with their experience with Edge reeds. I’ve stated the details of my experience elsewhere somewhere on here or the blog. I know others have done so as well.
The easy tongues worked swimmingly in my Lawries before said pipes sprouted multiple cracks... all three reeds were at factory settings, and they were steady beyond steady. So, no, I do not doubt the quality of Kinnaird products. It's just an inescapable fact that the bores have an impact on the behavior of drone reeds.

That in mind, the doubts about the Edge reeds seem to be multiplying, so I may just run Ezees and live with the fact that I won't be blowing out rafters any time soon.

Last edited by MichiganGaidar; 01-29-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:52 PM   #8
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!

Playing Edge in two sets. No issues at all. The bridle screw needs very fine adjustments and once dialed in, I run a length of tape around the reed to make sure the screws don't vibrate out of position. They give me a good low pitch range, better for that than Evo, and are as steady as any other Kinnaird. Good product for me. Burley and MacRae drones, so YMMV.
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:14 PM   #9
burp birl
Holy smoking keyboard!

2 pipers in the band play the Edge reeds....Atherton Premier and Atherton Legacy pipes & the sound/tone they are getting is amazing. The reeds are extremely air efficient, the strike in and cut off is confidently easy and my piping mates couldn't be more proud of their pipes! One of the piper's went from the Evolution reed to the Edge reed and is very happy. The other piper went from playing only 2 drones to all 3 drones and is actually piping steadier now (give her a break! She's 73 and going strong)!

Manipulating this reed is different than any other kind of reed and takes some getting used to but once you understand the quirkiness it's easy.

Jenni
Old 10-26-2019, 10:17 AM   #10
pipermik
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

[QUOTE=Patrick McLaurin;1334469]Iím a bit confused why they would be mismatched for strength across bass and tenor. Thereís not a lot of room for adjustment, within the lines anyway; surely itís not too onerous? Anyways, count me in as not impressed with the Edge.

I noticed jim mcgillivray promoting the edge with his vintage pipes.maybe it's a canadian thing.still love cannings and henderson harmonic bass
pipermik is offline   Reply With Quote