Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-20-2019, 07:47 PM   #21
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Standard or long chanter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHamitlon View Post
Why would that be? It seems logical, that a practice chanter would have the same bore. Are any PC made like a regular chanter?
PC's have the cylindrical bore so they end up being quieter and lower pitch, more like a smallpipe.
If you had a conical bore like a regular pipe chanter, or border pipe chanter, it would be higher pitch and much higher decibel level, which around the table for practice, might be a bit disconcerting at best.
Just for s's and giggles, I have made practice chanter style tops for GHB chanters (I called it the Pipe Major's PC) and set up an old border pipe chanter experiment to fit in my regular PC top. Both used synthetic reeds, so mouth blowing wasn't a problem. They worked well, and the holes are easier to feel but I don't know that something like that would be marketable. It would be funny to see a whole band at the table with those, though.
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-20-2019, 11:27 PM   #22
EHamitlon
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwitchyFingers View Post
PC's have the cylindrical bore so they end up being quieter and lower pitch, more like a smallpipe.
If you had a conical bore like a regular pipe chanter, or border pipe chanter, it would be higher pitch and much higher decibel level, which around the table for practice, might be a bit disconcerting at best.
Just for s's and giggles, I have made practice chanter style tops for GHB chanters (I called it the Pipe Major's PC) and set up an old border pipe chanter experiment to fit in my regular PC top. Both used synthetic reeds, so mouth blowing wasn't a problem. They worked well, and the holes are easier to feel but I don't know that something like that would be marketable. It would be funny to see a whole band at the table with those, though.
Thank you, I think I understand. In any case, it's not a game ender, it just takes a bit more effort and frustration trying to train my muscle memory to make the moves. But I'm just starting out, so it'll probably start to get easier over time. It has made me wonder if one of the electronic chanters might be a better option trying to learn the basics. But they're rather expensive. If I were to go down that road, I'd rather just save a little more money and get one of the offerings by Redpipe.

Last edited by EHamitlon; 04-20-2019 at 11:29 PM.
EHamitlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:34 AM   #23
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

A mouthblown chanter is best. It is best to build up your lip strength before moving to the much higher pressure of the highland pipe.

It is what it is.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:13 AM   #24
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
A mouthblown chanter is best. It is best to build up your lip strength before moving to the much higher pressure of the highland pipe.

It is what it is.
I agree completely with this ^^^^ I'd like to add that I think all of these electronic chanters are the last thing you want to use for meaningful practice. They can encourage sloppy fingering and poor techniques for embellishments.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:47 AM   #25
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post
I agree completely with this ^^^^ I'd like to add that I think all of these electronic chanters are the last thing you want to use for meaningful practice. They can encourage sloppy fingering and poor techniques for embellishments.
Yes...! And correct.. All of them...imo.

No shortcuts work. Akin to a drummer listening to synthesized beatings to improve their own drumming
.without having the bother of using two sticks.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:57 PM   #26
thevoidboy
Forum Member

What are you talking about. Electronic chanters are so much more unforgiving of poor and unclean fingering.

Nothing is a substitute for piping. But donít dismiss the electronic chanter. They are game changers for technique in so many ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thevoidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:52 PM   #27
EHamitlon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevoidboy View Post
What are you talking about. Electronic chanters are so much more unforgiving of poor and unclean fingering.

Nothing is a substitute for piping. But don’t dismiss the electronic chanter. They are game changers for technique in so many ways.

I've seen Redpipes being played on YouTube quite a bit (...at least that's what I assume they are). One of the pipers appears to have little metal protrusions from her chanter, she goes by the name Snakecharmer. After a bit of Googling, it appears Redpipe offers an optical chanter. In your opinion which is better?

One of the electronic practice chanters I saw looked very nice, I can't recall the brand. But it had a VERY nice price tag as well. I think they were asking $750 for the thing.

Last edited by EHamitlon; 04-22-2019 at 02:09 PM.
EHamitlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:12 PM   #28
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:

Nothing is a substitute for piping.
This sums up my own opinion also.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:41 PM   #29
Triskele

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHamitlon View Post
Thank you. So, as I understand it, the only difference is the sound they make, and not different finger hole spacing or configuration. It's just which sound one might prefer.

I'm really starting from zero here. By that I mean, I know absolutely nothing. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something that I should consider that might cause me problems down the road in choosing one or the other.

Thank you again for your responses.
I actually have observed different finger hole spacing between different long practice chanters. Gibson PC spacing is a bit off from my pipe chanter spacing, but my understanding is that is done to produce a "true scale." Naill and McCallum PCs holes line up perfectly with my pipe chanter, but their scale is a bit off depending on the reed you use when them. How it was explained to me is that it is a trade off one way or the other with the PC. You put preference on either having a near perfect scale but different spacing than the pipe chanter or you have a scale that is a bit off but have the same spacing as the pipe chanter. This is not taking into consideration any taping or modification of the holes that you might perform on the PC.
Triskele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:44 PM   #30
Triskele

Quote:

Nothing is a substitute for piping. But donít dismiss the electronic chanter. They are game changers for technique in so many ways.

When properly calibrated the Blair digital chanter is amazing. That being said, my priority for practice is always Pipes, PC, digital chanter in that order. But there are times when I need to practice quietly (at work, traveling, late at night, etc.) and that is where the Blair digital chanter really saves the day.
Triskele is offline   Reply With Quote