Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-28-2019, 04:37 PM   #31
3D Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Dojo university?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCain View Post
Hope I didnít imply that anacrusis is banned.

An anacrusis is part of the melody.
Yay! Respect the anacrusis! (Lord have mercy, lets not open that can of worms again!)

Quote:
Embellishments and grace notes are not part of the melody.

Two different events for different purposes.
Aren't our embellishments based on canntaireachd? The whole embellishment+melody note is (usually) a single word, isn't it? I could very much be wrong on that..

But what Dojo is saying is everything always starts on the beat no matter what. Using their format for music is a language, how would you play Barack Obama? The emphasis (beat?) is on the second syllable, not the first..

-Matthew
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-28-2019, 05:10 PM   #32
EHamitlon
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Guys, with all due respect, you're scaring the beginner here.

I've no idea what you are arguing about, and it's actually frightening how little I understand about what you're saying.
EHamitlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:07 PM   #33
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Itís okay, we donít either.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:58 PM   #34
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Itís okay, we donít either.
True that. And weíll fight in the parking lot about it.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:47 PM   #35
Jim McGillivray

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey B.
As far as Patrick's concern on teaching embellishments, the timing on them is so technical that the beginner is best to simplify them as far as timing goes as possible.

I'm not completely clear what you're trying to say here, but I am fairly sure I disagree. I have a view about how embellishments should be played correctly, and I can teach beginners to understand my "model" and to practice towards it quite easily. There is no benefit for them in trying to play something that isn't, well, what I think is right.

I agree with Calum here. The number of embellishments that are played ahead of the beat can be counted on one hand.* The concepts are not difficult if you understand them. Many "old guys" to whom I've taught these concepts have told me that they were eureka moments for them in understanding the music of the Highland bagpipe. We are a rhythm-based instrument and with few other instruments is the technique so intricately woven into the music.
JM

* Let's be clear here about what "on the beat" means, because it can indeed be confusing. When a G gracenote is played on the beat, this means the G finger hits the chanter when the foot hits the floor. So, strictly speaking, the G gracenote begins before the beat. This is counter-intuitive to the "gracenote on the beat" concept, so I've found it most useful to describe which finger hits or leaves the chanter when the foot goes thump.

I could go on at length here, but I did that in 1998 for 88 pages and called it Rhythmic Fingerwork.
jimmcg@piping.on.ca
Jim McGillivray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:39 AM   #36
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHamitlon View Post
Guys, with all due respect, you're scaring the beginner here.

I've no idea what you are arguing about, and it's actually frightening how little I understand about what you're saying.
Its all above me too! So don't worry

What it highlights to me is that, there are plenty people who will offer 'tuition', but very few that you would actually want tuition from (not directed at anyone here, it's a general observation). A short search of Youchoob is enough to find a gaggle of self proclaimed 'Bagpipe Masters', which the truth could not be further from. A competent tutor, that can walk the walk (play to a good standard) and can talk the talk (explain things economically and simply) is the absolute minimum.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:13 AM   #37
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post
Its all above me too! So don't worry

What it highlights to me is that, there are plenty people who will offer 'tuition', but very few that you would actually want tuition from (not directed at anyone here, it's a general observation). A short search of Youchoob is enough to find a gaggle of self proclaimed 'Bagpipe Masters', which the truth could not be further from. A competent tutor, that can walk the walk (play to a good standard) and can talk the talk (explain things economically and simply) is the absolute minimum.
If your instructor can't explain the difference between pickup notes and embellishments you should seek another instructor.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:46 AM   #38
3D Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
If your instructor can't explain the difference between pickup notes and embellishments you should seek another instructor.
I'm with John on this one!

-Matthew
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:22 AM   #39
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

Quote:
Exactly. There is also no point in an instructor that can't execute what he is describing.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #40
Jeffrey B.
Forum Member

I agree with Calumll and Jim, I would rather play the embellishments correctly, but before the enlightened age of the internet, a lot of people learned it wrong. When I joined the band I was hitting those notes early, because I had Jim's book, me, not being in charge or the teacher, had to shut my mouth. Many a fight was generated from timing and counting, so I play the way they want, not worth the fight. The whole point of the thread was, if you have nothing else, is Pipers Dojo a viable option, and I still believe it is. Believe me when I say there is iffy instruction everywhere and he could do a lot worse.
Jeffrey B. is offline   Reply With Quote