Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-09-2019, 07:25 PM   #21
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Your 2019 setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Will, I like the x-treme bass because it’s bold and solid. And it’s super easy to tune with no funny business, nice and stable. Tonally better in each pipe than what it replaced.
Interesting. I might try and pick one up used perhaps.

I received my Breadalbane pipes this week and have a few reeds on hand that I've tried namely Redwoods, Ezees, Selbies. But I'd like to try some others. Probably just the bass though. Selbie and Ezee tenors are great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
Yes, the G1 Bb reeds work just fine in my 40-year old McLeod Chanter. Depending on the ambient temperature, they'll pitch at 466 to 472 Hz.
I don't have any newer, higher-pitched chanters, so can't answer that.
I have a Bb, a 470ish Gael, and an McC2. I might take up this reed as an experiment up the line in pitch and find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army.Bagpiper View Post
Hi Will! The EzeeDrone Increased Absorption Inverted Bass reed is still very new, but it has locked seamlessly with the older regular EzeeDrone Tenors. I only had to calibrate it, a millimeter or so to open it up and it has sat still for the week or so I have been playing it. I am warming up to it. It took a little to get used to the new sound because I have been accustomed to the Henderson Deluxe Bass Drone Reed, which I have been using for two seasons now.
The Henderson Deluxe is a big reed though as I hear it. More toward the leaf blower end of things. Ezees in my experience tend to be mellow and smooth. I used the Inverted Ezee with my MacLellans to smooth down the intense bass those pipes have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army.Bagpiper View Post
The Tone protector has cut my "warm up" to practice time to a fraction of what it was, so now I can almost tune and get to the serious practicing and spend more time in working on my tunes, then waiting for the reeds to come to the point where I can tune them and expect them to hold for any given amount of time.
This is a strong endorsement. Maybe I will add this to my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
MG White Mamba drone reeds....👌
I was looking into these. Looks like the difference between them and the regular black MG reeds are the paddle shaped tenor tongues?
Old 05-11-2019, 06:21 AM   #22
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post

I was looking into these. Looks like the difference between them and the regular black MG reeds are the paddle shaped tenor tongues?
To me they seem a tighter brighter sound and bit of increased volume. I find them to be ‘always ready’ during a session of up and down....with little finite adjustments....like they were ‘tuned at the factory.’ Lol.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:19 AM   #23
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
...howzo?...you only need to take a bb size ball of the blue-tac and mash it into the open end of the screw.
Yeah, used too much. Put a small sausage shaped piece in instead of a bb shape.

Set up the xtreme with the blu tack today, got them tuning nice and high on their pins. What revalation the reeds are, the ezeedrone are deceptively good (and loud) but the xtreme (bass especially) make my pipes come alive!

Thanks el gaitero
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:05 AM   #24
milwiron
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post
Yeah, used too much. Put a small sausage shaped piece in instead of a bb shape.

Set up the xtreme with the blu tack today, got them tuning nice and high on their pins. What revalation the reeds are, the ezeedrone are deceptively good (and loud) but the xtreme (bass especially) make my pipes come alive!

Thanks el gaitero
Bee's wax also works well to fill hollow screws. Roll small balls in your fingers to warm it up and tamp it in with the shank of a small drill bit. Use the "cutting" end of the same bit to remove some wax if needed.

I've often wondered, the drilled hole in the adjusting screw obviously affects the reed's tuning chamber length but does it serve another purpose? Tone, stability? The screws in my Xtreme reeds are turned from bar stock, drilling the hole is an added machining operation that could be omitted by making the reed a little longer. Maybe the hole does more than we assume??

Edit: Does reducing the weight of the screw by drilling affect the vibrancy of the reed?

Last edited by milwiron; 05-20-2019 at 10:19 AM.
milwiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:20 AM   #25
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwiron View Post
0The screws in my Xtreme reeds are turned from bar stock, drilling the hole is an added machining operation that could be omitted by making the reed a little longer.

Somehow I suspect a design optimisation engineer probably hasn't been employed in this process! Step 1 - design reed. Step 2: oops, bit sharp. Step 3: drill hole in screw. Step 4: pub.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:32 AM   #26
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
Somehow I suspect a design optimisation engineer probably hasn't been employed in this process! Step 1 - design reed. Step 2: oops, bit sharp. Step 3: drill hole in screw. Step 4: pub.
If that is the case, I find it odd. All the pipes I've used them in it has been a toil to get them to tune high enough. I'm not even playing the latest stratospheric pitch that most bands and soloists are. Generally I'm around 475ish.

So how does this work?
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #27
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Nothing wrong with 475...it’s the bench design spec pitch of the McCallum mk2 chanter. The mk3 model issued in ca 2010 is up to 10 cents higher.

If you haven’t tried EZ Drone short version reeds maybe you should. ...their idea is to provide ca 1/4” higher tuning on the pin.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:04 PM   #28
Mctaorluath
Forum Member

New Macrae drones, Henderson carbon bass, ezeedrone tenors, 1998 abw Naill chanter, 2015 Bennett Goatskin bag.
Mctaorluath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:45 AM   #29
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Hi all,

2010 McCallum ABD4's
WMC Bannantine bag
Dunbar Elite I or Kyo chanter
Moose valve
Canning tenors
G1 cane base
Husk chanter reed

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink
John Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:37 PM   #30
OHCalman
Forum Member

Breadalbane drones with G1 cane bass, Ezee tenors and a Kyo laminate chanter with a Troy reed - all tied into a Begg Sheepskin bag.
I agree with Patrick’s comments on the Xtreme bass, if I weren’t using a cane bass it would be my first pick!
OHCalman is offline   Reply With Quote