Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-09-2019, 12:31 PM   #1
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Oldest Pipe Bands-Clan Macleay

There have been some works on oldest pipe bands. Many on N. American bands have focused on those in the East, and some in Canada, often ignoring many in the West. Clan Macleay Pipe Band (Portland, Oregon) has maintained that it's one of the oldest continuing existing bands in N. America. That's as opposed to oldest bands that are no longer (e.g., Portland Pipe Band, later renamed as Portland Scottish, was formed between 1903-1906, but folded in the 1970s) or those with intermittent existence (i.e., started, folded, started up again, etc.).
When I joined Clan Macleay, its start date was listed as 1927. However, the late and great Joe Hewitt, posited that it started earlier, based upon photos of spectators' clothing and cars. We changed the bio to "formed shortly after WWI". However, recent research found a photograph labeled 1912. A hand-written date, though, needs confirmation. We recentlly found an obituary of the Pipe Major of that band who died of typhoid fever in 1913. Good P/Ms have a lot of skills; but returning from the dead I don't believe is one of them! So we've now established that Clan Macleay Pipe Band has continuousaly existed since 1912, and possibly earlier (the Clan Macleay Lodge No. 122 OSC, for which the band was named, was formed in 1893).
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #2
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Oldest Pipe Bands-Clan Macleay

Right on, Mike. Proud to be a part of it in my youth. rook
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:31 PM   #3
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Oldest Pipe Bands-Clan Macleay

Thanks, Steve. I decided to start putting together a narrative (and photo) history of our band. I've waited too long in that we've lost too many with memories of earlier times; and the rest of us 'geezers' with any historical memory will be gone.
The other thing I encountered were conflicting stories. One, an article in a 1957 Pipe Band indicated that band started in 1954 and that it was not active during WWII. But multiple newspaper articles demonstrated that it was playing during the '40s, as well as during WWII. And 1954 was the band's first Tartan Ball. Lots of articles from the '20s, '30s, and '40s talked about the band by name. Prior to the '20s, any mention of the band was along the lines of "Clan Macleay lodge's pipe band" (which could have been our band, although it also referenced Portland Pipe Band...and we know that, at that time, there wree three bands, including a Canadian Legion band, that shared players). Those conflicting stories made it difficult to establish an earlier date. I'm still in the hunt for anything earlier, but pleased with what we've finally established.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote