Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-25-2019, 07:57 AM   #41
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Irish Funeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
I'm confused, Harley. What key do you play "Danny Boy" in? I have no problem cross fingering a high G#, and the low G# can be half-holed, though I prefer not to in general. In A, the tune needs a High C#and to me, that's where it all comes crashing down.
Yes Danny Boy, in A on GHB, starts on Low G# so halfholing yes.

Then soon comes a phrase that goes B Low A Low F#.

And the ending cadence goes Low F# Low G# Low A.

For which 99% of pipes just play Low G (natural) over and over. Unacceptable, to me.

Then there's all the High G#'s and High C# etc.

It's why I play it in D Major where all the correct notes are under the fingers, though yes octaves have to drop.

Every note of the first part fits right under the fingers, and only the two High B's have to be dropped to the ordinary B.

The second part then begins entirely an octave down. Hitting that highest note is no problem, it's the pipe's ordinary F#.

Ditto Irish Eyes (D Major) and Greensleeves/What Child Is This (D minor).
Old 07-25-2019, 01:01 PM   #42
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Yes Danny Boy, in A on GHB, starts on Low G# so halfholing yes.

Then soon comes a phrase that goes B Low A Low F#.

And the ending cadence goes Low F# Low G# Low A.

For which 99% of pipes just play Low G (natural) over and over. Unacceptable, to me.

Then there's all the High G#'s and High C# etc.

It's why I play it in D Major where all the correct notes are under the fingers, though yes octaves have to drop.

Every note of the first part fits right under the fingers, and only the two High B's have to be dropped to the ordinary B.
I play (pinch) High Bs all the time, so I think I might just give your setting a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
The second part then begins entirely an octave down. Hitting that highest note is no problem, it's the pipe's ordinary F#.

Ditto Irish Eyes (D Major) and Greensleeves/What Child Is This (D minor).
I'll get right to work on it.
FWIW, I sing it in G. One time at a session, the concertina played it and I asked if he minded if I sang. So, there were the two of us and Danny Boy, two verses while all the other guys looked on but nobody joined in. So the leader says- You know everybody else does that song in C but you did it in G. Why? I said "because he played it in G and I can sing it in G, evidently" ;-)
Old 08-16-2019, 03:23 PM   #43
Locke Bar
Forum Regular

How about a slow version of The Minstrel Boy?
Locke Bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:43 PM   #44
Locke Bar
Forum Regular

I agree with Itchy Fingers about the tin whistle. You may have to re-wire your brain for reading and playing the notation for the keys such as C and D but being able to play tunes using the extra octaves will be well worth the effort.
I've had good luck with choosing Irish made whistles such as Killarney brand in D from McNeela Music in Dublin.
Locke Bar is offline   Reply With Quote