Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-30-2010, 06:02 AM   #1
SwissMatthias
Forum Regular

Default CD production

Hello,

we want to produce our first CD. We have no experience in producing a CD. So we need some advices from you. What do we have to bear in mind?

Regards

Matthias
P/M http://www.lucaledonians.ch/
SwissMatthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-30-2010, 07:38 AM   #2
Bill M
Forum Regular

Default Re: CD production

Assuming you're looking to do a studio recording, for best results the pipes & drums should be recorded separately - not necessarily at different times, but in different rooms in the studio, or at least in different areas of the studio, where the pipes won't be picked up on the drum mics & the drums won't be picked up on the pipe mics. Any decent studio engineer will want to record that way. The trick is that the band may not be used to this sort of arrangement. The engineer should be able to feed a pipes / drums mix to headphones so you can hear each other while recording. Again, this may take some getting used to from your band. But it will allow the engineer(s) to have more flexibility in the recording & mixing stages. Also, I'm not sure how big your band is, but it may work out better to only have a handful of pipers & a few drummers. Although, it may be tough to decide who's on the recording & who's not. Good luck!
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:40 AM   #3
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

You'll need a few of these from the corresponding agency in your country for each tune under copyright:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_license

Start now, in my experience, these guys couldn't care less about pipe music. It has taken more than a year for MCPS-PRS (the UK agency) and Harry Fox (the USA agency) to fulfill some of my requests. Some still remain unfulfilled. And these are tunes that are already registered with MCPS. MCPS can't grant you mechanical licenses, you have go through your country's license agency because of differences in laws.

Last edited by Patrick McLaurin; 03-30-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:41 AM   #4
ThomasL
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
it may work out better to only have a handful of pipers & a few drummers.
That`s true. It is not necessary to record more than 5 Pipes, because of the mastering after the recording. That`s the difference to a live gig.

And, if You want to save some money, preparation is one of the most important things before entering the studio.
ThomasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
ScotDrumr
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTom View Post
And, if You want to save some money, preparation is one of the most important things before entering the studio.
Even with that in mind, it generally takes way longer than you think it is going to.

Ron
ScotDrumr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
Iain Sherwood
Holy smoking keyboard!

You should shop online for a CD production company that offers a package deal; you send them the gold master, some photos, graphics, and copy, and they'll whip up your cover art and packaging. Try looking at www.discmakers.com for samples and some packaging alternatives.
Iain Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

Good points from Iain, just a word of caution regarding DiscMakers. I was very disappointed in the art/graphic design department. On a recent project, many proofs came back for my approval that ignored basic rules of design and layout. I suspect that they are using designers in India or some other Third World country where they are cranking out work like an assembly line. Plus, they wouldn't let me speak to the graphic "artist" who was working on my project. Very suspicious indeed. I wound up doing 95% of the design myself in order to get it right. Caveat Emptor.

Cheers,
Al
www.theroyalpiper.com
magsevenband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
Iain Sherwood
Holy smoking keyboard!

They must have changed their policies since I used them in 2002, because they were very helpful and communicative back then. Oh, well, things change....there are several other companies to choose from.
Iain Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:12 AM   #9
kiltrocker
Forum Member

with todays tech , you can easily do all of this yourself . A 32 track digi recorder can be had for under $850 . Most of these machines can burn a cd on board . Then once you have mixed , matered and burned you can pick up a high speed duplicator from any on line retailer that deals in pro eletronics . With a good computer and printer you can do all of your art work and copy . Remember The Beatles Sgt. Pepper was recorded on a 4 track reel to reel . Things have come a long way .
Old 04-03-2010, 06:14 AM   #10
kiltrocker
Forum Member

that is mastered not enough caffine yet ( I hope)