Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-30-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
SwissMatthias
Forum Regular

Default chanter reeds made for a specific pitch range?

Hello pipers of the world,

I was wondering if reeds from a certain reedmaker are made for a specific pitch range, e.g. MG Chanter reeds are best on 478 Hz?

Cheers

Matthias
SwissMatthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Rojellio
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: chanter reeds made for a specific pitch range?

I can play the same Gilmour or McCann reed in my Nail {472} and MacHarg A440 chanter... so I am going to say NO.

Reeds are reeds {for the most part} Each brand and model chanter will prefer certain types & brands of reeds over others. Some chanters will react badly to some reeds.

The only "pitch specific" reed I am aware of, is the custom made long staple reeds that Iaian Sherwood supply's for vintage Chanters. Thats not exactly a pitch specific thing, just a better match for the chanter.

IF Grade I Bands are playing a custom reed for the upper edge pitch... than that is a carefully guarded secret between the PM and the reedmaker.

If you tell us which chanter you are reeding, people with the same chanter can recommend good matches {and bad} based on their experience. Sometimes the Maker even chimes in with their recommendations.

Last edited by Rojellio; 01-30-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Rojellio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
SwissMatthias
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojellio View Post
If you tell us which chanter you are reeding, people with the same chanter can recommend good matches {and bad} based on their experience. Sometimes the Maker even chimes in with their recommendations.
McCallum Pipe Chanter, made in 2005.

Regards

Matthias
SwissMatthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
Bish
Forum Gold Medal

The reeds I use are suitable for anything from 452 to 488 hz. I have a vintage Robertson chanter that tunes to 556-ish and a new Colin Kyo that tunes in the 480's. Same reeds. I have tried Shepherds, Ross Reeds, and Andrew Fraters. No problem.

The Robertson needs a very heavily taped high G because it is too sharp for modern ears. In the pre-1952 era the high G was much sharper than today, relatively. Low G needs to be flattened, but not as much. Normal taping on other holes.

Other chanters include McCallum ABW and Hardies, both wooden and poly, and a War-Mac.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:46 AM   #5
Bish
Forum Gold Medal

Immediatley after saying that I have no issues with reeds playing from 452 to 485 hz, my pre-1952 Robertson chanter reeded with a Ross started double toning on high G grace notes to low A ...
Old 01-31-2011, 06:49 AM   #6
Bish
Forum Gold Medal

I forgot to add that it is tuning at 558 hz in the Robertson, and that the same reed (Ross) is faultless at 478 in a Shepherd.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:23 AM   #7
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

The most difficult obstacle I've had with older chanters besides funky tuning is squealing with G grace notes on low A. Generally ridge cut reeds suffer more from this than straight cut, so maybe give Gilmour a try, or your favorite straight cut. Though, ridge cut reeds tend to have flatter high G's so I'm guessing your high G is going to go through the roof if you do switch to a straight cut, but maybe not.

In general, the harder the reed is, the flatter it will be. By heavily scraping a reed, you can easily go from 472 to 480 Hz, at least Gilmour's anyway.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #8
Bish
Forum Gold Medal

Thanks Patrick. That is helpful. That reed was playing very well at the lower frequency until yesterday. I am guessing that the easier reed is more prone to double toning down there.

I have ordered a half-dozen reeds from my favourite reed-maker, and he assures me that there will no problems at those frequencies. I am looking forward to the test.

Any idea why a straight-cut reed works better?

I had an old reed from the fifties that came with the chanter, and it was ridge cut, identical to the eye to the modern ones. Staple length I cannot comment on. Didn't check it out.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #9
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish View Post
I forgot to add that it is tuning at 558 hz in the Robertson, and that the same reed (Ross) is faultless at 478 in a Shepherd.
558 hz???? Do you need oxygen to play at that altitude? How on earth (or off it, evidently) do you get your drones to tune up there?
Old 02-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #10
celticmanone
Forum Silver Medal

I believe he means that 558 "Hertz" the ears .