Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
Wulls

Default How did you learn.....

This thread....
http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/...d.php?t=138183
Led to a discussion about teaching, learning and learning methods and how they have changed....
A substantial number of us learned in conjunction with the Logans tutor but it seemed to be the "older" generation of us
Has Logans fallen out of favour and if so are the more modern tutor books/DVDs etc better than what we had ??????
I personally think Jims' Rythmic fingerwork DVDs are excellent once beginners are over the "hump" of understanding the mechanics of playing but getting there ??????????
Whachawl think ???
Old 05-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
WACpiper
Forum Regular

Default Re: How did you learn.....

Sandy Jones' "Beginning the Bagpipe" was my first tutor - I think it's incredible as well. I haven't started teaching yet, but it is an aspiration of mine once I become a more accomplished player and I'm sure I will have my students buy Sandy Jones' book.
WACpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I never had a tutor book, just my dad when I had a question and Scots Guards I and II. Started shortly after 1995. Though a lot around here used COP.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

Never had a tutor book either, just Noel Slagle and some hand written sheets and brilliant instruction. Then later, Rich Winslow and Sandy Hain, George Lumsden, Iain Macey, Lindsay Kirkwood, Andrew Wright and lots of sheet music. Worked for me.

Shawn

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #5
Piperpadre
Forum Regular

My instructor had me and my brother start with the COP green tutor when we were kids back in the early to mid '70's. it was great. I just bought Jim's Rythmic Fingering to go back to the basics again. I find I need such a systematic and practical approach.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
phinson
Holy smoking keyboard!

College of Piping Tutors 1 & 3 in 1978-79. Then summer schools beginning in 1988.

Paul Hinson
phinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
William J Hunter
Forum Regular

Wulls,
Sandy Jones' "Beginning the Bagpipes" was also my first tutor which was soon followed by Jim McGillivray's "Rhythmic Fingerwork". Over the years I have used "Rhythmic Fingerwork" as my daily exercises, a section-a-day, with metronome. I keep a daily written log on my weekly progress in each section with the metronome markings usually changing for the following week, but not always. Many of the more difficult exercises I have "starred" and marked with my maximum tempo that I am usually capable of attaining. The "starred" exercises tend to reflect a slower tempo than what some of the easier exercises could be played at; however, I usually let the more difficult exercises limit the tempo and try to work for a good solid technique. I also find myself going back to re-read Jim's text on a regular basis.
Two other great Canadian tutors I have recently started are Major Archie Cairns, MMM the "How To Piobaireachd Manual" and "The Companion" Now with all these tutors if I could just find more time to memorize the tunes!
www.wjhmusic.com
William J Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:39 PM   #8
EagleJCS
Forum Gold Medal

The Louisville Pipe Band uses the CoP green book as well (I think mainly because that's what most of the band's pipers started with). Once our beginning pipers get to a certain point in their playing, we recommend they get Rhythmic Fingerwork.

I started with private lessons first and chose Sandy Jones' book to learn from. Consequently, I didn't get the same basic repertoire the rest of the band did (Scots Wha Hae, Brown Haired Maiden, etc.) and have had to play catch-up with learning some tunes.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

1988 My first p.c. was a Granger and Campbell that came in a boxed set with one of the Logan Tutors and a "teach yourself" cassette. I started lessons about a month later and my instructor had me use the COP green book. In his opinion, some the Logan tutor arrangements were a bit dated for what the band was playing. After getting the basics from the green book, it was straight on to band music.
I still look through the Logan book, and there are some good tunes in their, but the settings remind me a little of the Glen collection.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:12 PM   #10
Ian Lawther

I learned in a band (starting in 1967) which used some photocopied pages from Logan's to underline personal instruction from the Pipe Major, and an elderly piper who assisted him. The P/M, Andy Pirie was an ex Gordons piper and the old chap, Tammy Dick ex Scots Guards. Between them they started a lot of kids and I am not the only one that passed through their hands that frequents this place.

In more recent experience I have found far more people use the CoP book these days.

Ian
Ian Lawther is offline   Reply With Quote