Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-31-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
SwissMatthias
Forum Regular

Default Background tunes

Hello Folks,

I am searching for the historical background of the following tunes:

Scotland The Brave
Rowan Tree
Wings
Green Hills
Battle is Over
Lochanside
Highroad to Gairloch
Farewell to Camraw
Itchy Fingers
Cockney Jocks
bonnie lass o Fyvie
Amazing Grace
Highland Cathedral
Flower of Scotland
Farewell to the Creeks
Campbells Farewell to Redcastle
Mhairis Wedding
Sweet Maid of Glendaruel
Teribus
La Boum

Cheers

Matthias
SwissMatthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-31-2011, 09:30 AM   #2
pipermacbear
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Background tunes

Should search the forum archives, as I'd say there's already been a good deal of discussion on many of these tunes. But not all.

La Boum, isn't that something Rab Mathieson cooked up a few years ago when Shotts were playing in L'Oriens with the bagads? That tune is not very old really and is kind of sticking out like a sore thumb afaic

Also, "Farewell to Camraw" documents the Shotts and Dykehead switch from War-Mac to Shepherd chanters, way back in the late 90s/early 00s. LOL, it is another Robert Mathieson tune. Often used as a bridge in their medleys.

Amazing Grace, good info on that if you use the power of The Google...

Last edited by pipermacbear; 08-31-2011 at 09:36 AM.
pipermacbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissPiper View Post
Hello Folks,

I am searching for the historical background of the following tunes:

Scotland The Brave Written as a song in the late 19th Century by a Scots Noblewoman. The original melody in the bridge goes beyond GHB range
Rowan Tree
Wings
Green Hills (of Tyrol) Taken from a melody by Rossini in the Opera William Tell( AKA Gugliemo Tell And Gugliemo Wallacci (William Wallace))
Battle is Over
Lochanside
Highroad to Gairloch
Farewell to Camraw
Itchy Fingers
Cockney Jocks The march past of The London Scottish rifles
bonnie lass o Fyvie From a song, late 18th , early 19th Century
Amazing Grace Lyrics by John Newton, English clergyman around 1795. The current tune, NEW BRITAIN comes from an American shape-note hymnal c 1830. The original tune, Olney, was named for Mr. Newton's parish.
Highland Cathedral Composed by two German musicians, late 20th Century
Flower of Scotland
Farewell to the Creeks
Campbells Farewell to Redcastle
Mhairis Wedding Gaelic song from the Hebrides, another one fudged to fit the pipe scale
Sweet Maid of Glendaruel
Teribus more fully Terribus, Ye Terrioden, old song from Hawick, first published as a border ballad by James Hogg in 1819.
La Boum La Boum Écosse (The Scottish Boom), as PiperMacBear suggests written for the Festival Intercetique in L'orient, Bretagne

Cheers

Matthias
Here's what I know off the top of my head, except I did look up who wrote Terribus. (See italics above)
Old 08-31-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
Rojellio
Holy smoking keyboard!

The "Gael Collection" aka Jim McGillivray's Tune Site has the history's, and composers well researched and documented. Maybe buy a couple Tunes while you are there... make it worth Jimmy's while doing all the research and putting the info out there.

I have said it before... many of those Tunes are from the "Traditional Tunes that Aint Collection". Someone should Publish a Book, with all such Tunes in one place... in a somewhat coffee table book format with Pictures of what a band looks like with a couple more options than #1 & #2.

Is "Rowan Tree" a 'tribute' / based on a Piobaireachd called "Lament for the Rowan Tree"?? OR is it the other way round?? Either way, the themal action in the Piob. rather suggest a similarity to the March.
Rojellio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
pipermacbear
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojellio View Post

Is "Rowan Tree" a 'tribute' / based on a Piobaireachd called "Lament for the Rowan Tree"?? OR is it the other way round?? Either way, the themal action in the Piob. rather suggest a similarity to the March.
Was this a joke or were you referring to "Lament for the Harp Tree"
pipermacbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
Rojellio
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipermacbear View Post
Was this a joke or were you referring to "Lament for the Harp Tree"
As much as I might like there to be a Lament for the March Tune 'The Rowan Tree'... on the occasion of that Tune being planted in the ground. "Lament For the Rowan Tree" is a real Chune that Donald MacLeod Composed.

I am only curios if there were any relation to the two. Except maybe for sharing some of the same notes, which might be likely.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:07 PM   #7
Rojellio
Holy smoking keyboard!

La Baum my copy from Pipetunes.ca says its attributed to Franz Schubert.

IF Mathieson composed that, its in the same way J. MacLeod composed "Green Hills". La Baum might just be new to Pipes, the way Amazing Grace is.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Do you mean La Boum Écosse, or is there actually a tune "La Baum" by Schubert. (which would be curious as it has a French artcle (or Italian, Spanish, Portugese) followed by the German word for tree.)

Schubert did compose Der Lindenbaum, The Linden Tree as a Lied (art song) in the Winterreise Lieder (Winter Journey song cycle- a collection of art sings for solo singer and piano).
I'll have to have a listen to La Boum Écosse to see if it uses the Lied.

La Boum was a French film from 1980 about teenage love,more or less. The title translates as "The Party" or "The Bash"

I suspect that's what Rob Mathieson had in mind- "The Scottish Party" as the title.

I still don't know how Schubert's piece works into it, but to me Der Lindenbaumm doesn't sound like La Boum, and "La Baum" as a title makes absolutely no sense to me either.

Last edited by Klondike Waldo; 08-31-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Klondike Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
Rojellio
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
Do you mean La Boum Écosse, or is there actually a tune "La Baum" by Schubert. (which would be curious as it has a French artcle (or Italian, Spanish, Portugese) followed by the German word for tree.)
The "La Baum" score at McGillivray's site is definitely one and the same as the "La Baum" that the Bagad's are all playing, often for a crowd at Lorient that goes nutso over it.

The "attributed to" is what throws me. SO he didn't compose "La Baum" exactly, but its probably something he might have done, or loosely rooted in something he did??
Old 09-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #10
Armorican
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojellio View Post
The "La Baum" score at McGillivray's site is definitely one and the same as the "La Baum" that the Bagad's are all playing, often for a crowd at Lorient that goes nutso over it.

The "attributed to" is what throws me. SO he didn't compose "La Baum" exactly, but its probably something he might have done, or loosely rooted in something he did??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-rWf2PMHbw

The song "un été de porcelaine", written by Mort Shuman was 'borrowed' by Bertrand Louet of Bagad Brieg.

http://www.myspace.com/bagadbrieg/music/songs/La-boum-3-16438574

"Boum" would translate as a session or shindig sort of thing.
Armorican is offline   Reply With Quote