Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-01-2011, 12:25 AM   #11
Neil Clark

Default Re: Background tunes

Scotland the Brave - may be wrong, and the melody may well have been written by a Scots noblewoman, but the words were written by Cliff Hanly in the fifties.
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-01-2011, 05:46 AM   #12
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post

Scotland The Brave Written as a song in the late 19th Century by a Scots Noblewoman. The original melody in the bridge goes beyond GHB range

What's the name of the song, and where is it published? The earliest reference I've seen to STB is a 1910ish Boys Brigade pipe tune book.

As Neil mentions, the lyric we know today is definitely from the pen of Cliff Hanley in 1951. He intended for it to be a light hearted, tongue in cheek, over the top kind of song, for a Christmas production.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #13
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
What's the name of the song, and where is it published? The earliest reference I've seen to STB is a 1910ish Boys Brigade pipe tune book.

As Neil mentions, the lyric we know today is definitely from the pen of Cliff Hanley in 1951. He intended for it to be a light hearted, tongue in cheek, over the top kind of song, for a Christmas production.
Not being able to find a back-up source for what I may have mis-remembered, I will concede, however, the tune entitled "Scotland The Brave is somwhat older than Cliff Hanley's lyrics, at least acCording to Songfacts and a couple of other sources:
From Songfacts:
"Surprisingly, Scotland has no national anthem, although along with "Flower Of Scotland", the Gaelic Air "Alba An Aigh" rendered in English as "Scotland The Brave" is as good as. Written in 2/4 time, it is of surprisingly recent origin, and was published first around 1911 as "Scotland, The Brave!!!", and has been dated from around 1891-95, although the sentiment dates back to at least the 1820s. It was probably originally a flute solo, though the instrumental version is more usually played on the bagpipes.
The definitive lyrics were penned as recently as 1951. Glasgow man Cliff Hanley (1923-99) was an author, historian and broadcaster among his other talents; he wrote the new words for Robert Wilson, a performer who needed a song for the finale of his show at a Christmas Scottish review that was being performed at the Glasgow Empire Theatre." (italics mine)

As a flute solo, it could well have had a wider melodic range than it would as a pipe tune, more akin to how it is usually sung, but that is conjecture on my part.

Last edited by Klondike Waldo; 09-01-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Klondike Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #14
Neil Clark

Quote:
"Surprisingly, Scotland has no national anthem, although along with "Flower Of Scotland", the Gaelic Air "Alba An Aigh" rendered in English as "Scotland The Brave" is as good as..
Off the thread here, but I feel worth a stand.

We don't actually have an official national anthem, so we're continually arguing over it. Bruces' Address would seem to be the original contender, STB was for a few years, and Flower of Scotland seems to have taken over. No real difference, as very few people know all the words to ANY of the above.

However, if we have a vote and STB gets in, I'm moving south. I feel shortly after that, the wearing of pink tights under the kilt, together with rouged cheeks and jabots would be mandatory.

Mind you, even STB would be better than God Save the Queen "rebellious Scots to crush" and all that.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #15
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Re: STB
Somehow the name "Lady Gregory" loomed up out of the dark recesses of my memory as to who composed the tune.
RE: National Anthems:
Neil, you think you have problems?
Ours was set to the tune of a drinking song from a posh London Gentlemen's Club. The original lyrics were about Greek gods, goddesses and nymphs carrying on all sorts of debauchery in Elysium.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #16
Neil Clark

Now that sounds like a REAL national anthem!
Old 09-07-2011, 02:33 AM   #17
MarkinSA
Forum Regular

Quote:

Ours was set to the tune of a drinking song from a posh London Gentlemen's Club. The original lyrics were about Greek gods, goddesses and nymphs carrying on all sorts of debauchery in Elysium.
At least it is all in one language. Ours is one tune, or is it 3, and 3 languages

MarkinSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:55 AM   #18
Kirby Allen
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Somehow the name "Lady Gregory" loomed up out of the dark recesses of my memory as to who composed the tune.
RE: National Anthems:
I much like that national anthem now, it gives a new twist to the title "Flower of Scotland."

http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/
Kirby Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #19
Rojellio
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Clark View Post
Off the thread here, but I feel worth a stand.

We don't actually have an official national anthem, so we're continually arguing over it. Bruces' Address would seem to be the original contender, STB was for a few years, and Flower of Scotland seems to have taken over. No real difference, as very few people know all the words to ANY of the above.

However, if we have a vote and STB gets in, I'm moving south. I feel shortly after that, the wearing of pink tights under the kilt, together with rouged cheeks and jabots would be mandatory.

Mind you, even STB would be better than God Save the Queen "rebellious Scots to crush" and all that.
Such a Luxury should not be argued over, but rather embraced. Having a Menu to choose from, and sing one that's better suited for the person singing it.... that's pure genius that is.

Listen to what happens to "Star Spangled Banner" more often than not.. when the wrong person sings it, which is most of the time.
Rojellio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #20
usmcpiper
Forum Regular

[Listen to what happens to "Star Spangled Banner" more often than not.. when the wrong person sings it, which is most of the time.[/QUOTE]

Hear, Hear!!!!
usmcpiper is offline   Reply With Quote