Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
John Dally
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Used set of Northumbrian Pipes

I agree with Calum on the price and the age. They probably date back to the late '70s or early '80s, given the serial number and the ivory mounts. I've been told that Burleigh himself said that any set with a serial number under 1000 was, well, not his best work. The chanter reed looks like ti was made by a UP reed maker, because of the bridle. The drone reed looks like the kind made by Greensit and Addison. Still, it would give you an inexpensive instrument to start playing.
If you want a great instrument, however, you might save yourself a lot of trouble and place an order with one of the better pipemakers. Ray Sloan is making NSP again. He made my set (see below).

Last edited by John Dally; 07-28-2013 at 10:09 AM.
John Dally is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #12
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

^WOW!^
Old 07-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #13
Romanenkov Sergey
Forum Member

Great pipes,John!
How many keys on the chanter?
F?
Romanenkov Sergey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #14
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dally View Post
I agree with Calum on the price and the age. They probably date back to the late '70s or early '80s, given the serial number and the ivory mounts. I've been told that Burleigh himself said that any set with a serial number under 1000 was, well, not his best work. The chanter reed looks like ti was made by a UP reed maker, because of the bridle. The drone reed looks like the kind made by Greensit and Addison. Still, it would give you an inexpensive instrument to start playing.
If you want a great instrument, however, you might save yourself a lot of trouble and place an order with one of the better pipemakers. Ray Sloan is making NSP again. He made my set (see below).
If the mounts are real ivory, and if you like the natural stuff (sorry for the elephants...) they should be taken into account. You would, in this case, be lucky if the set sold for less than 300 oven if some extra money is needed for restoration.