Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-28-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
dwindbag
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Labral tear (labrum surgery)

Left shoulder aches after I play. It also hurts if I lift the wrong way and when I shoot my compound. Finally went to the dr and he sent me for an MRI. Went yesterday and got the news. He says it is a small front labral tear. He says surgery is my only option.

I have lived with it this way for at least a year. I have been working for months on a band audition, so surgery will wait until that is accomplished. Ibuprofen is my friend. Maybe some PT to try and strengthen the joint?

Dr says recovery is 4-6 weeks. Looking over crossfit and archery forums, I think it is much longer for people who aren't couch potatoes.

Anyone out there had the same luck? Any personal experiences on recovery? Anyone find help with PT?
dwindbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-28-2017, 01:39 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Labral tear (labrum surgery)

I got a cortisone shot which lasted a year or more...The occasional discomfort is soothed with Alleve...Dr said 2 pills 2 x a day is OK . Of course yrmv...And maybe my injury was not as severe. I'd question seeking medical advice on avbagpipe website tho.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:34 PM   #3
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

This is in no way questioning the medical diagnosis, tx or prognosis. And perhaps my experience has no relationship to the tear, chronic pain, etc. Then again, it may be relevant for recovering. Anyway...

I was experiencing quite a bit of shoulder pain when playing and afterward. Long story short, and after chiropractors and others not helping, I questioned whether it was the bag size (I had a large older hide bag); so I took it off and switched to a medium hybrid bag; and, over time, the pain disappeared.

Again, this may or may not relate at all to your situation. Regardless, all the best in your recovery, whether through surgery or other.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:52 PM   #4
Kevin
Holy smoking keyboard!

That is interesting. I had a torn rotator cuff and actually had the exact opposite experience. Switching to a larger bag seemed to position my shoulder better, and alleviate some of the stress. I guess the take home message is to use the right size bag for your body.

It was looking like surgery for me too but a year and half of intensive PT and two cortisone shots eventually did the trick. I wouldn't say its perfect; it's not as strong as before, but there is no pain unless I re-injure it.

Out of curiosity, do you feel more pain drawing your bow or squeezing the bag? I shoot a relatively weak re-curve (30 lbs) off and on and it seems like the two activities use opposing muscle groups.

Good luck with it,
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:14 PM   #5
Lightningstorms
Forum Regular

Tore my L shoulder labrum in the fall of 2005 and had it repaired on Mar 1 2006. Couldn't lift my L arm to comb my hair/wash, so went ahead with surgery. Wore an arm sling with bumper until mid April to let the bone grow around the screws, and then progressed to PT and strengthening. Six weeks was my time in the sling, so go figure your estimate. On pipes by June '06 with some pain/soreness, but the 3 bone screws they put in have held up. Good luck, I'm glad I did the surgery, beats not playing the pipes!
Old 03-01-2017, 05:19 PM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningstorms View Post

...beats not playing the pipes!
...Some might argue they'd rather get screwed.....
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:50 AM   #7
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
That is interesting. I had a torn rotator cuff and actually had the exact opposite experience. Switching to a larger bag seemed to position my shoulder better, and alleviate some of the stress. I guess the take home message is to use the right size bag for your body.

Kevin
I agree, Kevin, about the right size bag for the body; just as there should be a focus on blowpipe length and angle, cord length between drones, and other fit issues. At the time this happened to me, I'd had a perfectly good bag; but was talked into a larger one on the then notion that it was better for steady blowing. We know now that's a specious argument; and I'm now back to a comfortable bag for my body.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:21 AM   #8
Jeffrey B.
Forum Member

I had a torn labrum in my right shoulder, eventually had to have the whole thing cut to release the bicep. The very first thing you should do it look at your whole setup. I not only have a bad right shoulder but a nerve damaged left arm. I had a lot of trouble building up enough strength to play even a very easy G1 reed. I was about to give up when I decided to redo my whole setup. The first thing was to adjust the reed so I could blow it comfortably then adjust the drone reeds to strike in just before the chanter reed kicks in. With my setup, I'm only blowing between 21 to 23 inches of water on a manometer. Some in the band, for manly reasons believe the setup is too light, but why work harder than you need to? I now can play longer and enjoy it more and my shoulders feel better.
Jeffrey B. is offline   Reply With Quote