Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
Kevin Palm
Forum Gold Medal

Default Tone Protector Question

I wrote to Jori about this, but while I await his response I thought I'd ask the brain trust of the forums about this. When I first got my Tone Protector, the first Boveda pack I used kept it at a rock solid 84%, as advertised. About a week ago, it dropped to 81% and stayed there. I thought maybe the pack was drying out, so I replaced it with a new 84% pack yesterday afternoon. 4-1/2 hours later it was at 81%, and this morning before I left for work, it had dropped to 80%. The humidity in the room the pipes are in is about 45%, and I keep the heating vent closed. Is something wrong with the packs, do you think, or is the outside humidity dragging it down? I still have my old Piper's Pal, do you think it would help if I used the stopper rod from it?

Cheers,
Kevin

Update: I heard back from Jori:

"Thanks for the note. It sounds like your Tone Protector is working perfectly! Small fluctuations are normal, especially this time of year as the weather is changing. Another thing to keep in mind is that the Tone Protector measures relative humidity which changes as a function of temperature. So a little bit of movement is totally normal and expected. You can be confident your reed is in perfect playing condition. The air is drier this time of year, so the packets have to work harder to keep up. I recommend TWO 84% packets in the Tone Protector at all times. I would NOT plug the end of the bore or seal it in anyway, as this increases your risk of mold getting on the reed. The Tone Protector is designed to work with some ventilation.

Here are some tips for getting the best results from your Tone Protector: https://goo.gl/9JwTEp"

Guess I was panicking over nothing!

Last edited by Kevin Palm; 11-16-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Kevin Palm is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-16-2018, 12:35 PM   #2
Doug Walton
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Tone Protector Question

Interesting - the TWO packets thing is something I hadn't thought of. Mine was acting the same way as yours.
Doug Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:07 PM   #3
Mainebagpipes
Forum Member

Mine's been doing the same thing. I guess I'll try sticking a second pack in tonight!
Mainebagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:55 PM   #4
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Personally, I donít worry about the fluctuations. When it gets down below around 75%, I stick in a new moisture pack.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #5
Kevin Palm
Forum Gold Medal

I had actually thrown away the original pack, so I fished it out of the trash when I got home and stuck it in my Tone Protector. The reading went up to 84% and has been rock solid for the past couple of days!
Old 12-26-2018, 03:36 AM   #6
PRAIRIEPIPER
Forum Member

nope! No mattr what I do I can't get above75%. I'm in Grande Pririe Alberta and the temp is -15 and it's snowing. With an outside humidity level of 85%. But my tone protector will not go above 75%.
What do I do to get to the recommended 84% humidit.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:04 AM   #7
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAIRIEPIPER View Post
nope! No mattr what I do I can't get above75%. I'm in Grande Pririe Alberta and the temp is -15 and it's snowing. With an outside humidity level of 85%. But my tone protector will not go above 75%.
What do I do to get to the recommended 84% humidit.
Give the reed a reasonably damp lick....watch the needle over several hours.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:43 AM   #8
svspiper
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Palm View Post
"Thanks for the note. It sounds like your Tone Protector is working perfectly! Small fluctuations are normal, especially this time of year as the weather is changing. Another thing to keep in mind is that the Tone Protector measures relative humidity which changes as a function of temperature. So a little bit of movement is totally normal and expected. You can be confident your reed is in perfect playing condition. The air is drier this time of year, so the packets have to work harder to keep up. I recommend TWO 84% packets in the Tone Protector at all times. I would NOT plug the end of the bore or seal it in anyway, as this increases your risk of mold getting on the reed. The Tone Protector is designed to work with some ventilation.

Here are some tips for getting the best results from your Tone Protector: https://goo.gl/9JwTEp"

Thanks for sharing this information. Very helpful.
svspiper is offline   Reply With Quote