Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-05-2018, 07:54 AM   #1
pipermm
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Irish Funeral

I have currently been asked to potentially play at an Irish funeral. The family specifically requested an Irish piper. I only play the highland pipes and my kilt is a Scottish tartan

Having not done an Irish funeral before, can anyone suggest if there are any specific Irish tunes that would normally be played at an Irish funeral
and if there is anything else I should potentially be aware of that may get asked of me, particularly if it would differ from a funeral for a Scottish person

I am still very new to piping at funerals so any info given would be gratefully received
pipermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-05-2018, 08:54 AM   #2
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Irish Funeral

King of Laois is a very pretty tune with Irish connections.

I have no idea what an Irish piper is. You might ask for clarification to ensure they are not looking for an uilleann piper. I’m from Texas but I’m not a Texas Piper.
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
salmunmousavi
Forum Member

Default Irish Funeral

If it were me, I’d play Danny Boy. Beautiful old Irish song, and could be very appropriate for a funeral. (I guess the original tune before the lyrics were written was called Londonderry Air?)
And yeah, I would say that Irish Piper could either mean Uileann Piper or maybe like a Brigade Piper? Like a Saffron Kilt? Maybe ask for some clarification there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite possibly one of the only Iranian players of the Highland Pipes in the world.

Last edited by salmunmousavi; 12-05-2018 at 09:22 AM.
salmunmousavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:25 AM   #4
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Danny Boy cannot be played correctly on highland bagpipes. Please don’t.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:44 AM   #5
ironron
Forum Member

Into the stilly night is an irish lament ..not heard very often,, First heard it at the queen mothers funeral..
ironron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:31 AM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Imho...don’t get boxed into a corner ...tell the prospective client what you will play...rather them give you a play list of way too many tunes ...many of which you likely won’t know or learn in time.

Play only what you are comfortable with. Usually at funerals. you’d play a few tunes shortly before the service and specific ( e.g. going home) to pipe the coffin into the church...then out,..after the service (My) usual exit tunes are simply,of course, amazing grace and auld Lang zyne.

Contrary opinions aside, ...a right setting of Danny Boy ( aka Londonderry aire ) can be played and easily recognized.

If you play at graveside...a variety of ‘any’ hymns, airs, ‘irish’ marches at a slowed tempo, as mourners arrive will work. No one is going to accost you. ( unless playing abysmally) for not playing “Irish” tunes. ( ask them to prove it)
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #7
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I don’t know how long the link will persist on mandolintab but Danny Boy does not fit on the highland pipe scale.

http://converter.mandolintab.net/con...=fmt/dummy.fmt
Old 12-05-2018, 12:01 PM   #8
salmunmousavi
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Contrary opinions aside, ...a right setting of Danny Boy ( aka Londonderry aire ) can be played and easily recognized.

Heartily agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite possibly one of the only Iranian players of the Highland Pipes in the world.
salmunmousavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:10 PM   #9
Kevin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironron View Post
Into the stilly night is an irish lament ..not heard very often,, First heard it at the queen mothers funeral..
Did you mean Oft in the Stilly Night? It's a great tune.

Best regards,
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:15 PM   #10
Kevin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Check out the tune list here https://www.halleonard.com/product/v...wtype=songlist

Hopefully you already know a few of them.

Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote