Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #1
Joseph Diodato
Forum Member

Default Maverick Practice Chanters

I'm looking to expand my collection of piping items in the future, and I'm particularly interested in the Maverick practice chanters. Gorgeous asthetics aside, their main selling point appears to be that "[Our chanters] are the only practice chanter on the market today that do not require tuning. Our chanters are in tune straight out of the box."

Has anyone had the chance to play the Maverick chanters and can offer any thoughts? I'm also considering the Hardie Twist-Trap practice chanter and David Lindsey's chanters.

Cheers,
Joe

My Piping Blog- A student's musings on learning the Great Highland Bagpipe.
Joseph Diodato is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-20-2019, 05:54 PM   #2
Molasses4masses
Forum Regular

Default Re: Maverick Practice Chanters

A friend of mine (and my dadís instructor when he played) has a Maverick and it sounded pretty solid when I heard it.

I have a David Lindsey chanter. Itís a work of art and you couldnít ask for a better maker who is willing to make sure you get the PC you dreamed of. Mine is silvertone birch with Damascus steel and moose. The reed that comes with it (Boyd, I think) is really robust and most definitely makes you feel like youíre playing a solid instrument.
Molasses4masses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:56 AM   #3
Matthew Quinn Martin
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I've got two Lindsey PCs (both bought used)...they are absolutely worth every penny
Matthew Quinn Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:23 PM   #4
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Those look pretty. I think for that kind of money though I would definitely not purchase a practice chanter, I would purchase a SSP chanter with a mouthpiece.

This is what I use as it's a real chanter that is keyed (mine is A). Always in tune, proper finger holes, and the pitch perfectly matches up with other instruments. Playing back sheet music on a computer or tablet with MIDI is excellent, the intonation matches precisely once you set.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:43 AM   #5
Chris Knife
Forum Regular

I joined the revolution last year. It lives up to all claims and is kewl and comfortable. My only other comment is that I wish I'd requested a sole so I didn't close off the chanter on low g when resting it on my leg while playing. I own a regular size.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:36 AM   #6
DNorwood
Forum Member

Would you consider the ES Session Chanter (ESSC)? It can play in A, Bb, and now C and has all the properties you enjoy in the SSP chanter but with additional functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
Those look pretty. I think for that kind of money though I would definitely not purchase a practice chanter, I would purchase a SSP chanter with a mouthpiece.

This is what I use as it's a real chanter that is keyed (mine is A). Always in tune, proper finger holes, and the pitch perfectly matches up with other instruments. Playing back sheet music on a computer or tablet with MIDI is excellent, the intonation matches precisely once you set.
DNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:18 AM   #7
Mainebagpipes
Forum Member

I have a regular-size Maverick - very nice sound, with a bit of resistance compared to some other chanters. Quite happy with it, and thinking about picking up one of their long chanters.