Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Technique & Instrument Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Archive Old threads from the Technique and Instrument Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-09-2006, 10:09 AM   #1
D. Ruetten
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default synthetic drones for P1 Dunbar

I'm looking to make the jump to synthetic drone reeds on my Dunbar P1 pipes. Anyone find any significant difference between brands?

I'm not in a band, just play on my own, so there really isn't anyone to ask.

Don
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-09-2006, 02:38 PM   #2
Dave Sanderson
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: synthetic drones for P1 Dunbar

I play Kinnairds in my secondary set, P3's, from Eez's in the past. The Eez's tongues started to wear out and these have been an improvement for efficiency and full tone.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:59 PM   #3
Lauren Jaworski
Forum Member

My mate who has P1s says that they worked best with Wygent reeds. Easy setup and a good sound. However, I'm not sure that he ever tried anything else, since those are what he's got in his blackwood pipes as well!

"Do you know Angus? He plays the pipes."
"EVERY Angus I know plays the pipes!"
Old 04-10-2006, 06:24 AM   #4
Terry
Forum Regular

EZ's sound nice and are very easy to set up. Wygents sound a bit better but take some time to adjust. What kind of chanter reed are you using? I've been extremely pleased with the Chris Apps chanter reeds
Old 04-10-2006, 10:10 AM   #5
D. Ruetten

I'm using a Souter cane reed in the chanter right now, though I'm in the process of trying different brands.

I looked at the selection of drone reeds at my local piping store and was stunned by the number of different types available. Searches on the web only served to confuse me further. The woman at the store has been using EZ's for five years and is quite happy with them so I may go with that, but I was thinking I should ask here as well.

Thanx for all the replies it's much appreciated

Don
Old 04-12-2006, 01:59 PM   #6
BJC97
Forum Silver Medal

I'm with Terry on the Wygents- they have a nice full sound but take a while to set-up. I'm plaaying Balance-Tones at present, very easy set up and sound *almost* but not quite as good as the Wygents.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:16 PM   #7
D. Ruetten

Which model/style of Wygent reeds? They seem to have several different ones.

Don
Old 04-12-2006, 10:26 PM   #8
windsaloft
Forum Silver Medal

On my Dunbar Poly's, I've tried a number of synthetic drone reeds. All worked, but I ended up with a VERY strong pref for Kinnairds in them --- I get the richest, fullest, closest to ABW/cane sound with them.

I tried EZ's and they sounded next bestm although I really had to play them a good while to break them in, etc..

Balance Tones sounded good too, but had more of a plastic/metallic sound that wasn't my cuppa tea. They were really easy to set up.

My buddy here plays Wygents in his P1's and they sound quite nice as well, a lot like my EZdrones, but without the setup/breakin issues that I had (it coulda been me....)

For what it is worth.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:55 AM   #9
John Chambers
Forum Clasp

I vote for EZEEs also, nice sound and easy to work with. My favorite setup with my P3s was a Soutar chanter reed with EZEEdrones.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:50 PM   #10
BJC97
Forum Silver Medal

The Wygent's I have are "synthedrones".