Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reviews Reviews of CDs, Music Books, DVDs, etc.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-23-2004, 12:06 PM   #1
Javier
Forum Gold Medal

Default CD - World's Greatest Pipers Vol. 10 - James McGillivray - 1992

- 5/5 bananas. Excellent CD.

Running Time 46 mins.

I purchased this CD on the recommendation of the forum as one of the top CDs to own. I have to heartily agree - everyone should own this.
This CD has 11 tracks, most of which have multiple tunes including jigs, reels, hornpipes and marches. Track 11 is a piobaireachd.
The playing is amazing, and the recording quality is quite good. I couldn't even begin to criticize a single thing on the CD. I'd say the man is a machine, except the musical expression is far too good to have been done by a machine. Every note of every embellishment is crystal clear and perfectly executed. Buy it, play it over and over . You'll find new things to listen to each time.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:53 PM   #2
DonutPiper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: CD - World's Greatest Pipers Vol. 10 - James McGillivray - 1992

I just picked this one up too. I agree that it is very well done and features many nice tunes. I agree with the statement regarding the embellishments -- it is was one of the first things I noticed.

I did not enjoy the piobaireachd, however. Not the playing -- which is superb -- but the music itself.

Old 07-23-2004, 08:32 PM   #3
Alasdair McAndrew
Forum Silver Medal

This is one of those recordings which defines what good piping is. The perfection of technique and exemplary musicianship make this a truly landmark recording. I wish there could have been two (or more!) piobaireachds - Jim's playing of "The McGregor's Salute" is absolutely inspirational.

- Alasdair
Alasdair McAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 12:36 PM   #4
Javier
Forum Gold Medal

You know, I'd rather play Piobaireachd than try to spell it.
Anyhow, reactions to P. seem very polarized. My wife couldn't stand to listen to it, my 8-year-old son thought it was awesome. I had to listen 2 or 3 times to be sure I liked it.
If you like P., you'll love the way he does it on this CD. The combination of perfect execution of complex fingering with beautiful musical expression is breathtaking.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:10 PM   #5
DonutPiper
Forum Silver Medal

I love piobaireachd -- just not the "The McGregor's Salute." It ranks low on the list of those that I've heard -- it's very boring to me. I should have been more clear about that in my earlier post. Anyway, we all know what they say about opinions... And who am I to judge!
Old 07-26-2004, 07:24 AM   #6
Javier
Forum Gold Medal

Hmm, I'll confess I haven't heard much P. (I've given up spelling it out). Certainly what McGillivray does blows away the couple locals I've heard! I'll have to listen to a lot more P. to be able to give an informed opinion. I agree the central theme seems very simple, but I don't know enough to judge whether that's normal.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:12 AM   #7
Jim Roberts
Forum Gold Medal

No one has mentioned that the CD includes the definitive recording of Jim's 6/8 March, "Duncan McGillivray, Chief Steward." A modern classic.

Jim
Jim Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 08:59 AM   #8
DonutPiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Roberts:
No one has mentioned that the CD includes the definitive recording of Jim's 6/8 March, "Duncan McGillivray, Chief Steward." A modern classic.

Jim
You're absolutely right! I was actually going to post something to that effect in my original message, but stopped short. The 6/8's on this CD really swing!