Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-06-2020, 04:27 PM   #21
William McKenzie
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Favourite chanter pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
When I obtained my RTS Bb chanter a few years ago I queried a friend ..a retired SG RPM...what he played in his. He unaware of the RTS Bb reed....he only used standard RTS reeds. I also queried 3 other notable pipers and reed makers...who all couldn’t/wouldn’t say definitely what made a “Bb” reed different ( ie ‘Bb’)

Meanwhile,..I’ve stuck to using the RTS reeds stamped ‘Bb’..been meaning to try some G1 Bb reeds...haven’t yet.
As far as I have read, the Shepherd Bb reeds are their regular reeds that tend to play flatter. If this is the case I don't know where the cutoff is when they are tested.

I play a Shepherd Bb reed in my Classic Mk3 and it's great.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:22 PM   #22
EagleJCS
Forum Gold Medal

For solo playing, I'm not stuck on a number. Wherever the pipes choose to settle is fine with me.

When I was playing with a band, the PM would either use his chanter as the target pitch or get an average of the more senior pipers (more reliable blowing, etc.) and went with that. Typically in the 476-478 range most of the time. (We're in the Ohio River Valley, those pitches were for May and September. The pitch could go significantly higher in July and August - much hotter and more humid.)
Old 03-08-2020, 07:18 AM   #23
DapperDan
Forum Regular

I'd like to be at a lower pitch, around Bb, or low 470's. I think the instrument loses some of its mood and warmth at higher pitches, and becomes a bit metallic sounding and even grating to non-pipers, who should ultimately be the people we play for. I'm in a band though, so I don't have control over these things. I have to keep a separate chanter and drone reeds to play solo, which is more than I have time to keep going, so I mostly play a very sharp band chanter.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:06 AM   #24
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
I'd like to be at a lower pitch, around Bb, or low 470's. I think the instrument loses some of its mood and warmth at higher pitches, and becomes a bit metallic sounding and even grating to non-pipers, who should ultimately be the people we play for. I'm in a band though, so I don't have control over these things. I have to keep a separate chanter and drone reeds to play solo, which is more than I have time to keep going, so I mostly play a very sharp band chanter.

It’s really not that much time to get a set of your favourite drone reeds for solo use and a dedicated solo chanter. Simply swap out reeds and chanter for band use versus solo.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:43 AM   #25
Doug Walton
Forum Gold Medal

My favorite chanter pitch is anywhere between 472 and 480 when the chanter sings and tunes well, and I get a nice, stable piob hi-G. Ideally for me, around 477-478.
Doug Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:04 PM   #26
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Well...at the risk of seeming impertinent...
allow me please... to simply say... "Low."

Or... what used to be called... Normal...

And please consider this to be my solo
vote... that somehow... and in the not too
distant future... our ever-ascending pitch...
will begin to descend... to ever more
earthly and verdant fields... of musical
enjoyability.

Old 03-09-2020, 02:05 AM   #27
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

From what I’m reading it looks as if all of the Glenfiddich pipers last year were all well over 480! Too high for me, but it is what it is.

I’d love to get my hands on one of those lower pitched Sinclair chanters, IIRC their current chanters have multiple pitch options available. I’ll have to take a look when I got the $
Old 03-17-2020, 01:36 AM   #28
Locke Bar
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsevenband View Post
Yes, the Shepherd Bflats are good if you can get them...for me, the Orchestral is the premier Bflat chanter and it comes thru very well on recordings, particularly on the ones I've done and the Regimental ones...I haven't played the others that have followed Shepherd's lead.
Bflat McCallum for solo--McCallum 480 for band piping.
Locke Bar--Victoria, BC
Locke Bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:46 AM   #29
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Had an interesting experience leading up to a St Patrick's concert performed for the public on March 14. Our band (competition Grade IV) was invited to play with a local Fire Dept pipe band. I attended several practices with them over the weeks preceding the concert, and found that they were playing poly McC2 chanters, so their pitch was 476 Hz. As I play a McC2 ABW chanter in my solo pipe, which pitches optimally between 474 - 476 Hz, so I had no problem getting my McCallum poly band chanter down from our band's pitch of 480 Hz. Unfortunately, I tried to warn the other fellows in my band, most of whom didn't attend any of the practices. Needless to say, on the day of the concert, they had a heck of a time getting in tune with the Fire Dept band. If I had been participating with the Fire Dept band as an individual, I would have used my solo pipe instead of my band pipe. I bought a McC2 chanter over ten years ago to use as my solo chanter because McCallum designed it to pitch lower than the current band pitch. It was interesting running into a band playing a chanter designed for solo use, but then they aren't a competitive pipe band. The concert went well so "all's well that ends well". If I was PM of such a band I would go with the concert B chanters, but that's just me.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:04 AM   #30
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gael View Post
ANIP If I was PM of such a band I would go with the concert B chanters, but that's just me.

Cheers -

Wes
Wes, did you mean Concert B-flat chanters?