Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-13-2020, 06:05 PM   #11
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Alternative bagpipe mounts

Doug Macpherson makes stunning pipes.

Also didn’t some uilleann pipe makers use palm nut “ivory” as well?
Old 03-13-2020, 10:31 PM   #12
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

I tried to get palm nut on a set of pipes once but the maker successfully persuaded me against it after a couple of horror stories. Apparently it's fairly awful stuff. Very unfortunate given how awesome it looks.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:14 PM   #13
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
I tried to get palm nut on a set of pipes once but the maker successfully persuaded me against it after a couple of horror stories. Apparently it's fairly awful stuff. Very unfortunate given how awesome it looks.
I have heard that it can degrade and come apart rather quickly, after a certain point, did the maker mention anything like that?
Old 03-14-2020, 04:50 PM   #14
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I had a beautiful set of Dunbars half-mounted in palm nut.

I loved the look of those mounts.

They were elegantly threaded, I could take them off and show them to people, who marveled at how nice that stuff looked and felt in the hands.

Yes one who marveled was an uilleann pipe maker, who started using it for his pipes.

I played that set in the hot sun, in the rain, and the mounts were absolutely stable.

Then I sold the set to somebody Back East, and within a month they said all the mounts fell off! He sent them to Dunbar to have them replaced with summat. What a waste.

In like manner I sold a 100 year old set of pipes that I played for years in every weather condition, that had not a single crack in the wood or ivory, to somebody Back East and within a month they said one of the drones had a big split in it.

Here's that set, ABW, palm nut, and machine-engraved alloy

Here's a nice photo Atherton posted showing four of his mount materials:

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 03-14-2020 at 05:28 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:32 PM   #15
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Here's a photo in the old Kintail catalogue I have (both the Tortoiseshell and the Marble look much more like cowhorn than the "Horn" does)

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 03-14-2020 at 07:36 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:21 AM   #16
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

I always found the “horn” looked more like a type of polished rock than anything.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:16 AM   #17
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
Here's a photo in the old Kintail catalogue I have (both the Tortoiseshell and the Marble look much more like cowhorn than the "Horn" does)

My first set was a 1982 KB-3 with imitation ivory mounts that looked really good, could be mistaken for real ivory. I don't know of any other maker at the time who was offering such a grand selection of mounts as Kintail did.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:58 AM   #18
magsevenband
Forum Clasp

I have an '83 Kintail set in engraved nickel and imitation ivory and it still looks wonderful...no yellowing either on the mounts.
Old 03-15-2020, 04:34 PM   #19
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gael View Post
My first set was a 1982 KB-3 with imitation ivory mounts that looked really good, could be mistaken for real ivory. I don't know of any other maker at the time who was offering such a grand selection of mounts as Kintail did.

Cheers -

Wes
IIRC they even offered amber and Jade, not real stuff I’d imagine, imitation plastic most likely. Nevertheless it looked super cool.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:50 PM   #20
Justin Howland
Forum Member

For a good few years now Morrill Bagpipes has been flying under the radar here in Utah. Not only are there unconventional mount materials, but the entire instrument is constructed out of various hardwoods. Think ironwood, bocote, ziricote, granadillo, lignum, etc.

The aesthetic is very different than you would typically expect, but well worth a deep dive into what they're doing.
Justin Howland is offline   Reply With Quote