Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-23-2020, 10:36 AM   #11
paul_111
Forum Regular

Default Re: Post Pandemic bag hygiene

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
Also remember most copper pennies are not made of copper.
US pennies are zinc cores with a thin plating of copper. I imagine there's plenty to last for years in a pipe bag

Years ago, I taught college chemistry lab, where the kids would dissolve away the zinc core and would have the copper foil as a 'souvenir'. It was pretty cool!
paul_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-23-2020, 10:46 AM   #12
DNorwood
Forum Regular

Does someone else have access to your pipes?

I won't do a thing beyond current, sensible maintenance protocols. Let's talk about it in six months. See ya then.
DNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:53 AM   #13
gisahag
Forum Silver Medal

Copper coins or other objects won't work. It's an auld wives tale, although I can understand how it arose. Copper sulfate solution is an antifungal (they used to use it to spray crops), kills slugs and snails, and restricts bacterial growth. However a solid lump of copper or copper alloy will not kill fungi, viruses or bacteria in your bag. Your spit won't dissolve enough of the copper, or contain enough sulfur, to create an effective amount of copper sulfate from a coin/t-pipe/copper object or your choice.
To kill viruses using an organic solvent like ethanol or isopropanol (and I mean organic in the proper scientific sense, not the 'soil association approved' sense) you need to use a 70% solution. I'd be wary of putting that in synthetic bags in case it dissolves anything and delaminates the bag or weakens the glue at the grommets or zip.
A good 5 minutes of swilling soapy water inside the bag would be the most effective, least dangerous thing for synthetic bags at last.

Neil
gisahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:04 AM   #14
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

How about the famous ol' Dettol. ?
For 20 years in USA I often wondered what it was...mentioned in the 'blue book"; then I landed in a Hong Kong posting and found a bottle of it on the grocers shelf.... aka 'Mr.Clean'...et al.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:32 AM   #15
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

For a brief second I considered buying one of those UV-C germicidal bulbs and inserting one in the bag for a period of time. Actually not a good idea, donít do that, youíll destroy the bag material especially organic bags!

But in all seriousness, are organic bags less likely to have mold and bacteria issues due to the antibacterial properties of bag seasoning?

I have been noticing that Iíd get coughing fits after playing one set I have, thatís when I got the isopropyl alcohol. Though Iím not sure if it might be enough if there are any spores inside. What about Hydrogen Peroxide?
Old 03-23-2020, 03:21 PM   #16
Robin Beck
Holy smoking keyboard!

What on earth does copper do?
Old 03-23-2020, 03:49 PM   #17
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBpiper View Post
But in all seriousness, are organic bags less likely to have mold and bacteria issues due to the antibacterial properties of bag seasoning?

It ought to be expected that hide bags that use seasoning ought to have fewer micro-organisms in them because the seasoning is, by its design, hydrophilic. In other words, it attracts moisture, and this should, in theory, also pull moisture out of bacteria thus killing them. This is a hypothesis, and has not been tested.

Either way, I use a hide bag with Highlander seasoning, but I still rinse it with Listerine every few months. My blowpipe and associated tubing gets soaked in isopropanol every couple of weeks.

Charlie
Old 03-24-2020, 03:51 AM   #18
will103
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Beck View Post
What on earth does copper do?
This link has some info:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3067274/

Copper has been used for a very long time because of its ability to inhibit bugs.

Ta G
will103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:25 AM   #19
gisahag
Forum Silver Medal

That article can be summarised as - copper kills microorganisms that come into contact with it for long enough for the microorganism to absorb some copper. So nothing will grow on a copper object placed in a bag, but it will do little or nothing for the rest of the bag. As far as I know no synthetic pipe bags come with an internal lining of copper.
Soapy water. Cheap, simple, effective.
gisahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:55 AM   #20
paul_111
Forum Regular

wait, did we care about disinfecting pipebags during the MERS and H1N1, etc?

I think this is getting a bit out of control.
paul_111 is offline   Reply With Quote