Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors
View Poll Results: How many sets of GHBs do you own?
One 27 19.15%
Two 47 33.33%
Three 27 19.15%
Four 16 11.35%
Five 7 4.96%
Six 6 4.26%
Seven 0 0%
Eight 5 3.55%
Nine 1 0.71%
Ten or more 5 3.55%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2020, 06:43 AM   #31
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: How many sets do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
So far over 50% of the respondents have one or two sets.

85% have one to four sets.
The financial investment of more than 2 is huge and probably a bit out of reach of most people.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-13-2020, 07:15 AM   #32
Kevin Palm
Forum Gold Medal

I have my original set of Gibsons (20 years old this year!), the only set I've ever owned. I'm still in love with them, and have never been tempted to change!
Old 02-13-2020, 10:41 AM   #33
Barry Shears

I'm curious what this set looks like, and can it be played? If not, have you ever played it or heard it played?

There are some serious cracks in the drones but I opted to leave them as is. Julien Goodacre thought they were c. 1780-1790, and surprisingly there is a second set which is very similar looking. The set came with a rosewood fife and so one could speculate an army tradition when when pipers were sometimes hidden under the word fifers. The set came from an area settled by veterans of the 82nd Royal Highland Emigrants after the American Revolution, but it was also an area settled by the Gairloch Mackays. I have often wondered about an 84th connection or a Gairloch Mackay connection since John Roy Mackay brought with him two sons who were pipers . If I was leaving Scotland in 1805 I may have been tempted t0 have more than one set with me, especially for three family pipers. Nice to dream.
My recent publication "Play it like you sing it" has a chapter on Immigrant bagpipes and locally made instruments with numerous photographs. (shameless plug)

here is the set
see attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1780 pipe 1.jpg (44.2 KB, 56 views)
Barry Shears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:39 PM   #34
MichelleB
Forum Silver Medal

I own two sets of Athertons, both Legacy. They are practically the same pipe, ornamentation aside. I am definitely a fan.

One set is ABW, with imitation ivory, and nickle slides and ferrules. They're the older style with the bottom edge of the ferrule having a rolled edge. I bought this set when you couldn't find a set of his pipes and he wasn't making them. I overpaid a little for them because I bought them second hand from someone who bought them from him and put them away... they were brand new and never played. And they sound GREAT. So much so that I decided to have him make a custom set to my specs when I learned he was making them again.

The custom set is my "forever" pipe. ABW, with ABW parrot-beak profile projecting mounts, plain sterling silver slides, engraved sterling silver ferrules and ring bands with a custom pattern designed by my best friend, and pink ivory bushings. For the record, my husband would like to give me jewelry for Christmas, birthdays, and anniversaries. I prefer bagpiping-related stuff. Last year I informed him that this set of pipes had him covered for the year.
MichelleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:31 PM   #35
David D.
Forum Regular

I have a blackwood set with a blackwood chanter and a second all plastic worry free set.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:56 PM   #36
djmclaws
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Palm View Post
I have my original set of Gibsons (20 years old this year!), the only set I've ever owned. I'm still in love with them, and have never been tempted to change!

+1
Mine's about 11 years old. Same experience
djmclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:17 AM   #37
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleB View Post
...the older style with the bottom edge of the ferrule having a rolled edge.
AFAIK it was Lawrie who introduced the type you're talking about, where you take a sheet of German Silver and spin it on the lathe and shape it into a ferrule with rolled integral bead.

(Note how the amount of taper, and the sharpness of the shoulder, varies from mount to mount. Each was spun individually so such variation is understandable.)

AFAIK the other makers, going back through the 19th century, used plain metal ferrules (scribe lines but no beads). These were made up from sheet German Silver, rolled into a cylinder, with a soldered seam.

(The traditional ferrules used by most makers.)

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 02-16-2020 at 06:21 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:52 AM   #38
MichelleB
Forum Silver Medal

Atherton doesn't taper the ferrule... but yeah. Pretty much the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
MichelleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:36 PM   #39
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

In the photo I posted of the Lawrie stocks you can see that the ferrule on the far left has little or no taper. You'll see Lawrie sets with all the ferrules having parallel sides, all the ferrules having strongly tapered sides, and mixed ferrules with various degrees of taper.

BTW many of the older uilleann pipes (late 18th to early 19th century) have ferrules rolled out of sheet metal with a soldered seam, but tapered. Why the makers would go to the extra trouble to taper the ferrules, who can say.

The poll now shows that 84% own one to four sets, 16% five or more.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 02-17-2020 at 05:41 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:38 AM   #40
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

3 sets, my original set of Kilgour & Krone circa 1994; second set of Gibson Fire Sides; and third of Dunbar P1. The K&K are my go to for funerals and church services, with to my ear a mellower tone. The firesides are pub pipes. and P1s party & parade pipes.