Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-15-2017, 06:54 PM   #31
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Regular

Location: College: Alma, Michigan, USA / Home: Rockford, Michigan, USA
Default Re: DegerPipes first generation issue

I guess we're sending this to an electronic store (frown). My stepdad, in an effort to extend the wires, actually pulled the wires out just so he could have enough room to twist the red wire of the clip onto the red wire of the Deger, and black as well. He did manage to get the top cap off, but all he sees is a circuit board and he can't pull it out. I just sent him Buzz's pictures by the way, so I sure hope that will help him. But both my mom and stepdad don't want me to send it to Manfred literally because the price to do it is absolutely ridiculous. "I guess you don't want me to have Deger pipes, that's your f**ing fault!" (mad) (mad) (mad)
Michael Kazmierski Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-16-2017, 07:11 AM   #32
Douglas Gordon
Forum Member

I did see the picture of the leads and the wires were very short not giving anyone much room to work.
I hope the electronics shop can resolve the problem!
Douglas G.
Douglas Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:06 AM   #33
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Regular

Ok,
Well, um, not to... - not to "break the circuit" on this thread (pun intended!) - after Bri and I took a trip to an electronic store today to see if they could look at it, guess what, no luck! Definitely time to send it to Manfred for repair (frown) (cry). However, before I do that, I have a super important question for y'all who have sent their Deger for repair.
So, I've heard that it's super expensive just to ship something from the USA to Germany, i.e. duty fees etc are like $200 these days. But keep in mind I know nothing about taxes and fees or whatever - even though I'm in college... So, how did you guys do it, step by step? My Mom was wondering how to do this, since she said that if there isn't a way to send it in without paying expensive fees, she will throw my Deger in the trash and ask me to buy a second generation Deger - no no no! Not a second generation, I like the first generation tons better! BTW, both my mom and my stepdad will take care of this.
According to what I've seen, I think you'd just mark the package "Returning to manufacturer for repair", maybe also stating that this is an electronic musical instrument so that dealing with those fees wouldn't be a big deal. But I'm not sure this is true anymore given that - dare I say who - Trump has some wierd things going on related to taxes these days. But of course, I could be wrong. I do know the repair cost in advance, including shipping, so what's up with those fees I have no idea. So if you can help me try to figure this out that would be appreciated. I'd like to send it in ASAP, preferably within this week. Thanks in advance for your help.
Michael

PS. One thing, my parents are completely unmusical, so they don't care whether I get a second or first generation DegerPipes. In fact, they think, "Just get a Ross pipe and you'll be all set". Heck no, the Ross sounds nothing like bagpipes at all! And by the way, this week is final exams week here in Alma, and I did ace my Spanish exam! Considering it was the very first thing I did today, not even breakfast - getting up in a hurry to take the exam, sortof a drag, but hey, you realize you have aced it in the end. Awesome feeling! * except for those poor old Degers *
Old 04-26-2017, 07:12 PM   #34
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Regular

I've got some pretty bad news: Well, I guess we can't send it to Manfred. Both my Mom and my stepdad have read some posts that talk about them returning their Degers and not getting them back, which is enough to convince them to buy me a second-generation Deger. EEW! I like the first generation better!
So, given this, if we take it to another electronic store and they can't really fix it, I'm wondering Buzz if you have gotten your Deger to work after you dissected yours. I mean, my stepdad tells me that you actually took the circuit board off the thing. So how did you know which wires connected to which sensors? I think that'll be the trouble that the computer repair person will have.
Unless any of you are kind enough to send it to Manfred for me, in which case I can just ship to you... Probably not very likely, but again keep in mind that my sister and I are the first musical people in our family, so I'm the only one that knows about the difference between the first and second generation Deger pipes...
Thanks for the help / advice in advance, I'm desperate to death to get these working, literally. If I have to get second generation, I'm selling that because I'm not playing a second generation DegerPipes.

Michael

PS. I've Emailed Manfred several times about this, perhaps 10 to 12 times, and I still haven't heard from him. Maybe his emails went to spam again or something?
Old 05-03-2017, 09:24 AM   #35
Buzz (not that one)
Forum Silver Medal

Michael, I'm just getting caught up on the saga of your Deger. Seems like you've had a bit of an adventure with this. Which wires were pulled out by your Dad? Just the battery wires?

By the way - I'm sure your Dad feels terrible about that, so try not to take it out on him. I've also been in situations where I was jut trying to help, and made things worse. It's bad enough knowing you've done this thing, but much worse when the person you're trying to help has ill feeling toward you for it.

Out of curiosity, what is it you dislike so much about the gen 2 Deger? I've never heard or played one myself, but other seems to like it.

Anyway - when I was looking at mine, I was unable to tell (nor did I try) which of the wires went to the contacts for each of the notes. I've tried to imagine how the whole thing was assembled, from start to finish. It's really a clever device. To overhaul it must be quite difficult.

There is also the possibility the circuit board is damaged, or some components on it are damaged. Testing it would take Manfred, or someone who's much geekier than I am with electronics. But hope is not lost yet. So, back to my original question, before I get too far lost from the topic: Which wires have been pulled out?
Old 05-03-2017, 05:11 PM   #36
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Regular

Hey Buzz,
My stepdad (sorry for not clarifying, or did I) pulled out the bottom-most wires on the pipes, where the battery clip would connect, so there would be no way to solder them on again due to the fact that the wires where they connect would be impossible to see. However, since I got $175 for my birthday money, I've decided to have my Dad (real Dad) take them to Germany for repair. So I should have a working DegerPipes sometime this summer!
The reason why I like the first-generation better than the second, is because I like the idea of a clean pitch-sweep across the range, rather than going up and down by individual half steps. Also, I'm more familiar with the sound of the first-generation, and to me, it's very nostalgic, enough that I used to get cranky about being jealous of everyone who has a first-generation.
I didn't realize it could be the circuit board too, but if it is, I guess they won't be able to get repaired because Manfred told me that he doesn't have extra circuit boards for first-generation pipes lying around. But I'm pretty sure it's an issue with wires, since I've heard that the wires are the weakest part of the DegerPipes.
I can't wait to get these pipes repaired.

Michael
Old 05-04-2017, 08:05 AM   #37
Buzz (not that one)
Forum Silver Medal

Great! Best of luck!
Old 11-14-2017, 03:17 PM   #38
Buzz (not that one)
Forum Silver Medal

Michael, did you ever get your Deger going?
Old 11-14-2017, 05:48 PM   #39
Michael Kazmierski Dunn
Forum Regular

Unfortunately, I've never bothered to send it to Manfred, primarily because I've emailed him several times and got no response whatsoever. Even worse, I don't have the money to do it either (frown). However, before I send in to Manfred for sure, I'll have a computer repair store take a look at it and see what they can put together. If it doesn't go well with them, I guess, GOOD LUCK getting the Deger's going...