Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Drumming > Side / Snare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Side / Snare Pipe Bands or Solo - if it relates to Drumming...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-11-2018, 12:01 PM   #1
Big Dog
Forum Gold Medal

Default (Core-tec) Heads a-poppin'!

Our band has just purchased a large set of used drums, about eight years old I think, previously used by two well-known Grade 1 bands. The set included eleven Premier HTS-800's. We've just put brand new Core-tec top heads on all of them -- the regular straw-colored uncoated ones -- and within three weeks, three of them (all on different drums) have broken. They are ripping at the edge. I've never seen this happen before and we're wondering why.

We put them on very carefully and "by the book" ... checked and sanded the bearing edges, put a little chapstick on the bearing edges, greased the bolts, brought them up to tension gradually, little at a time, used a JK tuning block, etc. -- did everything right as far as I know. So what's going on?

Our D/S talked to a friend in Colorado who also experienced some heads breaking recently. Anybody else having a problem with Core-tecs? Did we get a bad batch? Are there production issues with the manufacturer? These things aren't cheap -- we really need to figure out why this is happening.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:12 PM   #2
drum76
Forum Regular

Default Re: (Core-tec) Heads a-poppin'!

1. How far are you taking them down with the tuning block? 2. Which tuning block are you using? The black or the grey (now light blue) one?

I've never had to sand the top edge (just make sure it is clean) or apply chapstick. I wouldn't want high strength aluminium dust or any chemical residue between the edge and the underside of my ($50+ dollars a pop) batter head under tension.

Last edited by drum76; 04-12-2018 at 09:13 PM. Reason: spelling
drum76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #3
Big Dog
Forum Gold Medal

Took them down to 6 (meaning 6 will slide into the gap and 5 won't) on the black JK tuning block -- the older model. I can't remember who it was years ago that gave me the advice to lightly sand the wooden bearing edge just to make sure it is smooth and has no little burrs or rough spots (especially on a drum that's about eight years old and has been used by two bands already). That person suggested coating with chapstick, some people use a little vaseline, I suppose there are other things but I can't see why that would be detrimental.

Some people I've spoken to have suggested that on the HTS-800 you can't (or at least shouldn't) tighten down the Core-tecs as much as you can with other heads. A couple others have said that the Premier drum (or at least that model) is slightly larger in diameter and that the 14-inch Core-tec heads don't fit it well, whereas other head manufacturers offer a slightly larger-size head that does fit. Any truth to that?

I went back and looked at original posts on this forum when the HTS-800 first came out, and Bob M. (Meade?) noticed that the top ring on his became warped (out of circular shape, like an oval almost) after putting a Core-tec head on.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:56 PM   #4
drum76
Forum Regular

I understand, sanding and vaseline on the bottom bearing edge. I thought you were talking top edge.

Yes, Premier Batter heads from Remo and Evans are oversized. Diameter, as listed on a Remo box, is 14.07 vice 14 inch.

The Black tuning block covers 15/16-11/16 or 25-18mm or a nickel down eight even steps to a dime. The Grey/Blue covers 13/16-8/16 or 20-13mm. I've only used the Black tuning block on Pearls and Premier HTS-800s. I assuming that the Grey block would be more useful for taking Andante drums down past the setting of the torque limiter. It has been my experience that heads start failing if taken past 8 on the Black tuning block.

I only have experience with Core-Tec heads on the older Pearl FFXPB snares. So no issues as far as standard head size.

I once tuned my Pearl down to only four and it sounded great. I didn't have to mess with the top head or snares once set for three years! Just bring up the pitch on the day with the bottom head. Yes, a Core-Tec can be taken down to 8 but IMO it thins the tone.

The Cybermax/Stratospheres need to go down to at least between 7/8 to get in the right sound range.

I have the new Evans PB-SB1A batter heads on my band's Pearl FFXPBs and only needed to take them down to 4. Those heads provide a great fit, look and a great sound. They are available in Premier oversize.

I have two HTS-800s with Cybermax heads set to 8 and have a great sound.

Dunedin and FFM appear to be using the new Core-Tec Elite White batter heads on their HTS-800s.