Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Piobaireachd
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Piobaireachd For all things related to Piobaireachd ...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-06-2018, 05:26 AM   #1
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default PS digital books

I was thinking of purchasing one or more of the PS books, but only getting the digital version.

Normally, I’d get the iPad version, but maybe the desktop version (although I have a Mac and cannot remember how much of Flash is still supported).

Either way, can the digital versions of the tunes be printed on a regular printer?

After all, reading music from an iPad can be a bit annoying at times.

Thanks,
Charlie
Old 04-06-2018, 06:07 AM   #2
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: PS digital books

A review of the Piobaireachd Society's digital publications is currently underway, looking at various alternatives for making Books 1-16 and the Kilberry Book available in electronic format. As yet, we don't have a date when we expect all the books to be available and on what platforms. As soon as we have some news it will be published on the PS website - and no doubt on other piping media sources.

Roddy Livingstone (Hon. Treasurer, The Piobaireachd Society)
Roddy Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:05 AM   #3
moderntraditional
Forum Regular

Will these be digitized images? Or will they have been converted into BMW formatting and reproduced in that fashion?

The advantage of the former is the low overhead of reproduction (comparatively speaking).

The advantage of the latter is that it would allow the user to potentially import and edit according to other manuscript traditions.

Eventually, it would behoove the Piobaireachd Society to move away from these heavily edited and secondary sources. Or to simply fold them into the greater source tradition where they can exist along side others.

There really is very little justification for the PS to continue to expend the time, money and effort at maintaining what may have been a useful means of publishing inaccessible material, given that the material is now readily and easily accessible.
moderntraditional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:16 AM   #4
Zummerhaus
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by moderntraditional View Post
There really is very little justification for the PS to continue to expend the time, money and effort at maintaining what may have been a useful means of publishing inaccessible material, given that the material is now readily and easily accessible.
This - I'd go as far as say all piobaireachd should be available for free - including new compositions under copyright. They should be available as "folk" tunes under the living tradition.

I think the best thing the PS could do is clean up manuscripts for greater clarity - but include the actual sources alongside them for comparisons sake or to see where diversions were made. It should be made available free for all, or for a yearly membership where a community is encouraged to form and propagate through their site.
Zummerhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:12 AM   #5
moderntraditional
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zummerhaus View Post
This - I'd go as far as say all piobaireachd should be available for free - including new compositions under copyright. They should be available as "folk" tunes under the living tradition.

I think the best thing the PS could do is clean up manuscripts for greater clarity - but include the actual sources alongside them for comparisons sake or to see where diversions were made. It should be made available free for all, or for a yearly membership where a community is encouraged to form and propagate through their site.

I almost totally agree, except that many current composers wouldn’t mind being compensated for their efforts. Most are pretty generous, but one does rather feel for the plight of content creators in the digital age.

Otherwise, I think the idea of a PS meant to propagate (and not control) a living tradition is a good one, and there are many ways of doing so.

I would suggest to the PS that the digitization of their material be considered a turning point in which they could both stop editing the Kilberry-Kenneth work while simultaneously expand the whole venture by immersing it among all the others.

Something like that has already begun with the Set Tunes pages giving links to the source traditions.

One has a lot of hope in Jack Taylor.

-J David Hester, PhD
Alt Pibroch Club
www.altpibroch.com
Old 04-08-2018, 06:31 AM   #6
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

The idea of free is appealing. However, there’s a cost for typesetting, printing/hosting such tunes.

I don’t see the PS prices as being all that high. Most importantly, would be the ability to print tunes from a digital copy for personal use, or to “lend” to a judge.

Charlie
Old 04-08-2018, 10:28 AM   #7
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

One can quibble with the Piobaireachd Society's publications - more than quibble, in some cases - but at the end of the day most pipers just need reliable, quality performance scores. It's no more appropriate to direct players to the MSS than it is to hand piano players a facsimile of the notebook for Anna Magdalena.

And of course nothing is stopping anyone producing their own scores.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:05 PM   #8
moderntraditional
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
One can quibble with the Piobaireachd Society's publications - more than quibble, in some cases - but at the end of the day most pipers just need reliable, quality performance scores. It's no more appropriate to direct players to the MSS than it is to hand piano players a facsimile of the notebook for Anna Magdalena.

And of course nothing is stopping anyone producing their own scores.
Mmm. I understand.

But it's not a quibble. I take some issue with the word "reliable" here. PS is only "reliable", insofar as it only reflects the views of one or two editors from the 20th century. And written from a patronizing perspective that continues to inform even vol 16, where changes were made that were, simply put, unnecessary from a "readability" perspective.

Let's be clear: most of the primary manuscripts are legible. It doesn't take much effort to read and learn from them, though their format may be unfamiliar at first.

I get it that we all have a lot of work to do, and these PS may be the most familiar.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:02 AM   #9
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy Livingstone View Post
A review of the Piobaireachd Society's digital publications is currently underway, looking at various alternatives for making Books 1-16 and the Kilberry Book available in electronic format. As yet, we don't have a date when we expect all the books to be available and on what platforms. As soon as we have some news it will be published on the PS website - and no doubt on other piping media sources.

Roddy Livingstone (Hon. Treasurer, The Piobaireachd Society)
Roddy,

Much like the way CDs have gone. If you buy the hard copy could you also get a code to download an electronic copy? That would be excellent.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:47 AM   #10
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post
Roddy,

Much like the way CDs have gone. If you buy the hard copy could you also get a code to download an electronic copy? That would be excellent.
We are looking at a number of options at the moment and I'll make sure that a 'code' to download a digital copy when purchasing a traditional 'hard copy' printed edition is included in the discussions. Thanks for the positive and useful feedback.
Roddy Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote