Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Competing Pipers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competing Pipers Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-29-2018, 09:46 AM   #11
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Recommended number of competitions per season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
Right. To start out, I'd already requested and was granted grade 3. Otherwise I'd have started at grade 4. I'd like to get to grade 2 as soon as I can manage though, as it seems that I may be above grade level at 3.

We'll see. First competition is this weekend.

Thanks to all for the insight, it helps.

Cheers,
~Nate
A Big jump. Good luck. Practice hard...win easy.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-23-2018, 08:47 AM   #12
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Hi all,

In being the original poster, I wanted to follow up on this thread for posterity. In the end, I ended up doing quite a bunch of contests, and I was indeed upgraded to grade 2 for 2019.

To briefly rehash, at the start of 2018 I was going into my first year of competing. Initial grading was a little weird for me, in that I'd started playing pretty young and I'd kept up with playing since (for about 20 years), but didn't compete. Finally and more recently, I'd decided to give competing a go, for many reasons.

The EUSPBA graciously saw fit to place me in grade 3 initially, though my instructor maintained that grade 2 would soon be a better fit for me. I had/have no desire whatsoever to be a "sandbagger," so if I found that I was doing well straight away, then I wanted to be out of 3 and into 2 as soon as possible ... such was what prompted me to post this question ... "how many contests do people feel is enough to safely secure an upgrade?" ... I knew it of course depends on how well one does at any given number of contests .. but I just didn't know (even if I were to do well) ... would attending three venues be enough (with good placings)? Four? Five?

Fortunately for me, I live in an area of the US where there are quite an array of contests available if one is willing to drive a little. In the more-immediate vicinity would be games like Glasgowlands MA, Rhode Island, New Hampshire (Loon) & NH Indoor, Quechee Vt., Casco Bay & the Maine Games, and a couple in Conn. That's already potentially 8 or 9 events.

Slightly farther afield would include events in eastern NY, and maybe New Jersey. This potentially added events such as Capital District Indoor & Outdoor, Hudson Valley, Rockland, & Jersey Shore.

So I had the ability to do quite a number of events, I just wasn't sure how many I wanted to do.

I must say, Charlie's statement in particular was quite helpful and insightful:

Quote:
If you’re put into grade 3 then don’t worry about it. Remember, there’s more to competing successfully than the music. There’s nerves to deal with, varying temperatures, weather, plus a whole load of other things. ... If you have an easy time in grade 3 then you’ll be promoted the following year no doubt.
This is well stated ... I am rather lucky that nerves are rarely ever an issue for me, but it then occurred to me that if/when I were to make it to grade 2, it's likely that just about everyone else in my group will have been doing competition for a few years, whereas I will be rather "green" to the whole process. Indeed, I definitely found that there was some sort of new challenge/factor to be figured out at every outing:
  • Changing weather/temps, not to mention rain, of course. And heck, at one outing, the day started with torrential rain, and within an hour the sun was searing over you, and the grass was steaming from beneath your feet
  • Long waits between individual contents ...
  • ... and conversely, events where contests are all piled right on top of each other (at one event, I played my piobaireachd, 2/4, and then strath/reel right in a row ... I was done with everything in about 15 minutes).
  • Events where everyone else's pipes are echoing in the air, making it very difficult to hear your own set with precision
  • ... the list goes on and on

So within reason, I decided to do as many events as possible ... if/when reaching grade 2, it would be quite helpful to have been through all of the above situations and more.

In all, I ended up doing 13 events ... pretty much all being 4 hours drive or less from home. This would ensure that I could drive out early in the morning, do the contests and be home in the same day (i.e., no need for a hotel). Granted, I needed to leave extremely early (often 2 or 3am), but I eventually found that this worked well for me—by the time I'd get there, I'd have been up and going for 4 hours, whereas others will still be waking up. Adrenaline is an amazing thing.

The farthest driving-wise was Jersey Shore (Tom's River, NJ). That was about 5 solid hours, so that was really kind of pushing it. I made the mistake of pounding Red Bulls in the last hour of the trip, and consequently my hands were visibly trembling upon arrival. Drinking plenty of water settled me down, but that wasn't the greatest feeling to have first thing in the morning. I dunno if I'll do that one again ... good results though, thankfully, but 5 hours driving before playing is pushing it, to be sure.

Otherwise, the farthest I'd also decided to go to was Fair Hill (Colonial) in Maryland/Delaware. I flew down and made a weekend out of it, since I know a lot of folks in that area. The weather was abysmal, but the results ended up being pretty good, and I definitely learned some lessons in how to deal with playing on a cold, rainy morning.

Anyway, I certainly could have done less ... and I would imagine I'll do considerably less in 2019 ... though, who knows? Lots of lessons learned, and many new friends made as well. So in the end, I feel that I did "enough" to accomplish what I needed, no more, certainly no less.

Cheers and chunes,
~Nate

Last edited by Pppiper; 12-23-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Pppiper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:32 AM   #13
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Nate , a vigorous season.
Zo,..Where did you end up being euspba ranked by seasonsí end?
Old 12-23-2018, 09:35 AM   #14
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Nate , a vigorous season.
Zo,..Where did you end up being euspba ranked by seasonsí end?
Number two. Good year ... learned a lot.

http://competitionmanager.azurewebsi...=2&seasonId=40

Lots of work to do on 2019.

Cheers,
~Nate
Old 12-23-2018, 10:01 AM   #15
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
Number two. Good year ... learned a lot.

http://competitionmanager.azurewebsi...=2&seasonId=40

Lots of work to do on 2019.

Cheers,
~Nate
Excellent work. Yep...it never lets up. Good luck next season...then onto grade 1.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:02 AM   #16
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Excellent work. Yep...it never lets up. Good luck next season...then onto grade 1.
Thanks man.

Cheers & chunes,
~Nate
Old 12-28-2018, 02:20 PM   #17
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Nate -

Congratulations on your upgrade.... and thanks too for the follow-up report.

Itís great to hear how the story unfolded after the first enquiry, through to what actually happened. The fact that youíve been successful only adds to the pleasure of reading.

More power to your elbow; I look forward to some YooToobs one day
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 02:21 PM   #18
Pppiper
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Law View Post
Nate -

Congratulations on your upgrade.... and thanks too for the follow-up report.

Itís great to hear how the story unfolded after the first enquiry, through to what actually happened. The fact that youíve been successful only adds to the pleasure of reading.

More power to your elbow; I look forward to some YooToobs one day
Right on. Cheers!

~Nate