Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-07-2018, 08:20 PM   #21
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo
Default Re: Drone tuning trouble

I have a couple of older chanters that pitch about 457 Hz. Too flat for any of my usual drone reeds. They would be noticeably, irritatingly flat in a B flat setup.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:35 PM   #22
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

The reed is set at the depth that puts the low A and high A an octave apart.

457 is quite removed from Bb, which clarifies why your drones aren’t able to tune flat enough to the chanter.

I might guess the chanter reed is too far out, giving a very flat top hand and chanter overall. What does your tuner say about the relative tuning of low A to high A?
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:30 AM   #23
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

You mentioned the possibility of joining a pipe band down the line. I would recommend finding whichever band you're looking to join and stopping by their practice to see if anyone would be willing to help you. I'm sure someone there could probably sort you out in a matter of minutes rather than having people try to explain things over the internet.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:40 AM   #24
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fogelman View Post
You mentioned the possibility of joining a pipe band down the line. I would recommend finding whichever band you're looking to join and stopping by their practice to see if anyone would be willing to help you. I'm sure someone there could probably sort you out in a matter of minutes rather than having people try to explain things over the internet.
Exactly.....and much sooner than later.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:37 AM   #25
Piping Potential
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

When I want to play my B flat chanter I put drone extenders on my reeds. They're fairly inexpensive and allow me to use the same reeds for both the B flat and my 480 hz chanter.

If you're planning on competing you might invest in a new, higher pitched chanter. I played the B flat chanter in competition earlier this year and got "Dull, flat" remarks from both judges regarding the chanter.
Piping Potential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:09 AM   #26
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Clodhopper, for under $200 you can pick up a great-playing modern poly chanter which will solve your drone tuning issue.

Patrick has a thorough review of a number of top chanters currently on the market.

https://www.patrickmclaurin.com/wordpress/?page_id=2357

As people have pointed out, down in the 450s is really low for modern drone reeds, even 466 reeds.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 11-10-2018 at 08:12 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:10 PM   #27
Clodhopper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Alright, so I got a few minutes to fool with things, and tried treating the chanter reed as Shawn recommended, and took a reading with that Braw app. It came in at 474, which is quite a jump in the right direction. I was able to get the tenors in tune with that, but one of them is about half an inch past the hemp line still. The other one I hemped the reed up a bit so that it doesn't seat as far in. So I'm hoping with a bit more tweaking I'll be in business.

Thanks again for the input,
Pete

Last edited by Clodhopper; 11-11-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Clodhopper is offline   Reply With Quote