Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-10-2018, 08:15 AM   #1
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Pipe band map (lower 48)

One of the kids in my band who is away at school right now is in an advanced cartography class and made a map showing pipe bands of the lower 48. I thought it was interesting and thought I'd share it here.

He posted about it: "I recently finished making this visualization about the pipe band community in the lower 48 and thought it would be cool to show my FB friends what piping and drumming looks like in the US.

(for those of you who play pipes or drums: I know this map of bands might not be the most accurate or current -- the band and roster data on each of the associations' websites is fairly messy/spotty."

Credit to Henry McCarthy
Old 11-10-2018, 08:35 AM   #2
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Pipe band map (lower 48)

That's a great map. Thanks for sharing. I make a lot of maps for my job.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:18 PM   #3
johnsog
Forum Regular

Very interesting!! Just what this cartophile adores. I know there are more groups than are shown, since our band in Fargo, ND, isn't shown. We don't have a website, though, so what can one do?! Thanks for sharing.
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:21 PM   #4
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsog View Post
Very interesting!! Just what this cartophile adores. I know there are more groups than are shown, since our band in Fargo, ND, isn't shown. We don't have a website, though, so what can one do?! Thanks for sharing.
He went off what info is given by each pipe band association. If your band isnít part of an association, that could be why.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:15 AM   #5
Mainebagpipes
Forum Member

I like it! Up here there are a fair number of bands (seven I think?), although only two are part of the EUSPBA. I'd be interested to see how the graphic would change with non-member bands included, but I doubt there's a quick, simple way to gather that information.
Mainebagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:03 AM   #6
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebagpipes View Post
I like it! Up here there are a fair number of bands (seven I think?), although only two are part of the EUSPBA. I'd be interested to see how the graphic would change with non-member bands included, but I doubt there's a quick, simple way to gather that information.
There is a US based Scottish news publication that has self-reported organizations, including pipe bands, in an annual directory. It's been years since I looked at it, but it did have numerous non-competition bands listed. I can't even remember the name of the publication, but it's a tabloid format on newsprint.