Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-12-2018, 04:35 PM   #31
delraypiper
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to delraypiper
Default Re: When The Battle's Over - 0600

Played next to my flagpole in my yard at 6:00. For my Grandfather who was in the Rainbow Division in WWI.

John D

It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way.
Proverbs 19:2 (NIV)
delraypiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-13-2018, 07:45 AM   #32
Tom MacKenzie
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: When The Battle's Over-0600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colkitto666 View Post
Anyone here having trouble downloading the Nations Tribute certificate from the Piping Centre?

The response I got back from Stuart Letford at the NPC was

"Hi Tom, the certificate is not on our website yet. We're still catching up with processing hundreds of registrations after being inundated last week. I've attached it to this email, however. On our website we hope to next week have every piper and pipe band that took part listed and we'll send out an email to everyone prior to this.
Stuart."

and he attached the certificate.

tomm
Old 11-13-2018, 01:36 PM   #33
Paddypipes
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I played at a local beauty spot, the Lickey Hills, just outside Birmingham. Arrived at 05:30 with my wife and sister, expecting no-one else only to find about 30 people turned up to join us. My brother, James, had not long finished playing his tribute in South Africa so felt like a great family connection. Absolutely stunned by the turn out and the response.
Followed that up with a parade and the privilege of playing Flowers of the Forest and then a fund raiser concert for one of the local British Legion branches. A very enjoyable and memorable day
Paddypipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:24 AM   #34
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

While due to family considerations, I could not make a 06:00 local time tribute.

I did perform at a combined Veterans Day/Remembrance Service here in Mississippi. Father Roberts, a Veteran of the Canadian Army, lead the services, I was honored to perform both Taps, and The Battle's Over to finish.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:11 PM   #35
Fiji Piper
Forum Member

At Longitude 174 degrees 30 minutes East, in a time zone GMT +12, together with any other pipers in New Zealand, I guess we were first to play at 0600.

Up in Northland where I am it was a beautiful spring morning. Played at our local village at the war memorial. About 15 people turned up, mostly ex-servicemen. I played Battle’s Over and Great is the Cause of my Sorrow; a retired Regimental Sergeant Major recited “They shall not grow old…..”; one minute silence & a benediction. A shot of Scotch to start and another shot to finish.

At 82 I wonder if I was the oldest to play, and my kilt that I wear (A. & S.H. with officers rosettes) is about 50 years old.
Fiji Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:30 PM   #36
daveboling
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Played "The Battles O'er" at 0600 at the Huntsville Madison County Veterans Memorial. Even here in Alabama it was a dark, cold 28F. The reeds (all cane) came up, tuned, and stayed locked in. If they like the cold this much, I may need to drop a piece of dry ice in the bag each time I play. My grandfather fought in the war, and came home after suffering lung damage from a gas attack.

Dave Boling
daveboling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:16 PM   #37
Chris C.
Forum Silver Medal

I played Battle of the Somme and Bloody Fields of Flanders at 1100 local on Armistice Day, out in the driveway. I thought about hitting the local veterans' memorial but my playing wasn't up to snuff for public consumption that day.
Chris C. is offline   Reply With Quote