Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-10-2018, 07:46 PM   #1
Imbusypiping
Forum Member

Default Drone reed recommendation for 1910 Hendersons

I am looking for a rich mellow sound when playing solos. I used to have a set of Crozier Omegas but canít find a new set.

I tried a set of Kinnairds which are good for band play but I find them too harsh sounding for solos.

I am currently playing Croziers (with one bridle) but they are super finicky to tune. I like them better than the Kinnairds but I would really like to find something like the Crozier Omegas.

Would really like to hear from pipers who play vintage Hendersons.

Thank you!
Imbusypiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-10-2018, 09:11 PM   #2
Milly
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Drone Reed Recommendation for 1910 Hendersons

Ezydrone tenors and an inverted cane bass should give you what your looking for.
Milly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:44 PM   #3
Matt Weasner
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbusypiping View Post
I am looking for a rich mellow sound when playing solos. I used to have a set of Crozier Omegas but canít find a new set.

I tried a set of Kinnairds which are good for band play but I find them too harsh sounding for solos.

I am currently playing Croziers (with one bridle) but they are super finicky to tune. I like them better than the Kinnairds but I would really like to find something like the Crozier Omegas.

Would really like to hear from pipers who play vintage Hendersons.

Thank you!
Currently playing a full set of the standard Xtremes. Definitely mellower than Kinnairds. My set are WW1 era, made of ebony.

Ezee tenors + Kinnaird bass is a nice combo too, though maybe not mellow.

Cheers.

Matt
Old 11-10-2018, 10:36 PM   #4
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Ditto on Mattís recommendations. Ezee tenors and (original) Kinnaird bass or x-treme all around. I bet x-treme bass with Ezee tenors would be totally awesome.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:04 AM   #5
galbayman
Forum Clasp

I haven't tried Xtremes in my 1905 Hendersons, but if Patrick recommends them they must be worthwhile. I get a full but lush sound with Rocket tenors (are they still available?) and a cane bass that I picked up in Scotland several years ago. I'm not a traditionalist - I'll use anything that is satisfying - but there is a warmth to the cane bass that I haven't found in other reeds. The trick is to find tenor reeds that complement it (I haven't gotten the tenor cane reeds to be reliable enough in this climate to use yet, but working on it). Of the many sets I have, EZs and Rockets play well together with the cane bass.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:08 AM   #6
Mainebagpipes
Forum Member

Ditto to both Matt and Patrick - Ezee tenors with X-Treme or Kinnaird bass. I'd throw the Kinnaird Edge in there too. In my pipes, it's just as rich as the X-Treme bass, but very smooth and bright.
Mainebagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:23 AM   #7
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Mainebagpipes,

I found the Kinnaird Edge bass reed wholly unadjustable. The only way I got it to work (sort of) was to disengage the adjustment screw from the tongue entirely. What did I miss?

FWIW, I have easily (though tediously) set up Crozier Omega reeds in the past (RTFM is essential for success there).
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:01 PM   #8
Mainebagpipes
Forum Member

Interesting - no idea. Other than realizing the bridle does pretty much nothing adjustment-wise, I had no trouble getting mine set up. It just took some trial and error, and really small movements of the adjustment screw (less than 1/16th of a turn). Overall, it was about like any other time I've set a new bass reed. I also had the benefit of my teacher dealing with the learning curve for the reed at the start of the year, when he switched to the Edge bass in his old Hendersons (I didn't try one in my less-old Hendersons until right after my final solo event of the year). So far, I'm finding it a little less finicky than the X-Treme was.

FWIW, I'm playing a relatively light chanter reed right now for solos and a much stronger reed for band, and haven't had any trouble adjusting the Edge bass for either pressure range.
Mainebagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:20 PM   #9
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

I might have mentioned elsewhere ...donít overlook the new kid on the block....MG White Mamba reeds. Smooth,big,steady,solid in my book.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #10
montstros1ty
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Ditto on Mattís recommendations. Ezee tenors and (original) Kinnaird bass or x-treme all around. I bet x-treme bass with Ezee tenors would be totally awesome.
This is what i'm using, although my set are 1950s. Ezee tenors with X-treme bass - solid!
montstros1ty is offline   Reply With Quote