Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Webmaster & Software
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Webmaster & Software Piping site related, piping music related

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-21-2017, 02:58 AM   #11
Camuskellaig
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Bagpipe sheet music-making program

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCain View Post
I use it all the time. To call it brilliant is an understatement.
I am trying to convert tunes written in Celtic Pipes to Sibelius to set up for publication. I am using the Pipe ornament plug-in from Bob Zawalich but would love to have playback in a bagpipe format. Is there a plug-in for playback?
Camuskellaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-21-2017, 05:14 AM   #12
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camuskellaig View Post
I am trying to convert tunes written in Celtic Pipes to Sibelius to set up for publication. I am using the Pipe ornament plug-in from Bob Zawalich but would love to have playback in a bagpipe format. Is there a plug-in for playback?
Do you mean playback that sounds like bagpipe music with all the embellishments played in proper time etc?
Heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:18 AM   #13
Camuskellaig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherbelle View Post
Do you mean playback that sounds like bagpipe music with all the embellishments played in proper time etc?
Yes. The more it sounds like a real pipe, the better. Piobmaster sounds really good but we are having difficulty with this programme as every time we have a power cut (frequent where we live!) the programme needs to be re-registered. This is such a pain that we have abandoned it. I order to get uniformity with the format for my son's and grandson's tunes we have elected to use Sibelius but are unable to get playback. Do you know if there is a plug-in which will work?
Old 05-23-2017, 03:22 AM   #14
Camuskellaig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post
Celtic Pipes is inexpensive and straightforward to use.

IMO if you want to step it up, I like Sibelius with the pipe ornament plugin.

Charlie
Do you have playback?
Old 05-23-2017, 09:04 AM   #15
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Yes. The more it sounds like a real pipe, the better. Piobmaster sounds really good but we are having difficulty with this programme as every time we have a power cut (frequent where we live!) the programme needs to be re-registered. This is such a pain that we have abandoned it. I order to get uniformity with the format for my son's and grandson's tunes we have elected to use Sibelius but are unable to get playback. Do you know if there is a plug-in which will work?
You can get Playback with Sibelius but it doesn't work well as the embellishments aren't timed properly - or rather you'd have to write out the embellishments exactly as you wanted them to sound - come to think of this, Jim McGillivray has done this so he may have got it to work quite well timing-wise, but the sound is still not good for bagpipes. They did have a reason for not being able to give us a bagpipe sound but it was so complex that I can't repeat it accurately. Maye you could have another go at discussing it with them, via the Online Support query page they have.
Heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 02:30 PM   #16
LJ Neville
Forum Regular

+1 for CelticPipes for ease of use, reasonably good playback, and price.
https://www.facebook.com/TheAiryGlengarry/
LJ Neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:11 AM   #17
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
My workflow is to write out the complete melody and then add the gracenotes. Occasionally I may proof the melody by using a playback, but most often I use a slow, careful play through on pipes to verify. So, I really can't answer your question. I don't like any program's playback. Always sounds like a computer to me.

You've probably gone past this, but I would have suggested a good UPS (uninterruptible power supply - backup battery) with enough backup capability to allow for a proper shutdown. It's still worth thinking about.

"What we play is life." - Louis Armstrong
John McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:24 AM   #18
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Do you have playback?

Playback is mediocre and not very bagpipe like at all. I use Sibelius for typesetting only.

Charlie
Old 05-29-2017, 03:25 PM   #19
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

A major reason I use Sibelius is that I also compose and arrange for other instruments, so a bagpipe-specific application is not as useful to me. There are a variety of sounds one can use with Sibelius, and a mixer so you can adjust levels, choose other sounds, etc. I generally use "Bagpipe Chanter" (sometimes mixed with "English Horn") for the melody and a "Bassoon" sound for the drones, pitched A aa.