Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-16-2019, 07:03 PM   #1
Rob MacDonald
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Seeking recommendations/advice about choice of uilleann pipe-bag

I've recently upgraded to a 3/4 set which I bought as 'sticks and stocks', for which of course I must choose a bag.

But which bag?

Looking at the websites *, I'm spoiled for choice: styles associated with various pipemakers (Rowsome, Woof, O'Brien, Froment.), bagmakers (L&M, Fraser-Warnock/Jacky Boyce. Thompson) variations on 'standard' designs, bags for pipes in particular keys (Bennett lists different bags for pipes in 'D' and B#/C) and of course the opportunity to submit your own design!

I'd describe the bag on my practice set as "long-rectangular 'standard' " which - if I thought about it at all when I 'built' my practice set - I probably chose because it was similar in profile to the L&M 'elkhide' GHB bags that I've been playing since childhood.

I'm strictly a 'leather bag' man, I can sort the neck length out by myself, and I intensely dislike the look of 'riveted' bags, but I'd appreciate hearing your opinions about the various styles and shapes vis-a-vis holding and playing a 3/4 set.

(** Kelleher, Bennett, Fraser-Warnock, NPU)
Gold Sponsor