Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-10-2019, 04:04 AM   #11
Mojo52
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: New pipes issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
You need to be systematic about this.

Firstly, test the bag for airtightness. Cork all the stocks, get as much air as you can into it, and time how long it takes before you can get more air in. Tell us what that number is.

Secondly, try the chanter on its own with the drone stocks corked. Is it manageable: can you play through a few tunes without squeaks, discomfort, or chokes?

Thirdly, do the same with the drones only. Are the drones completely comfortable and steady, such that you can play them without exertion for half an hour or so?
I have done the three steps you have mention

First the bag is air tight after 20 minutes a blow a very small amount of air into the bag

Second the chanter played 6 tunes was struggling with the last one.

Third I tried the drones one of the tenner drones (ezeedrones) keeps cutting out and making a vibrating sound they are new set of reeds.
Mojo52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-10-2019, 05:42 AM   #12
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Your chanter reed is too hard, but it sounds manageable, and it's probably not unreasonable for someone at your stage to still have stamina issues to a degree.

So the problem lies with your drones. Have a look at this article and see if you can figure out what the problem is. The only comment I'd add to it is to make sure the reed tenon is very securely seated in the reed seat - it should be moderately difficult to remove.

https://www.bagpipejourney.com/artic...edadjust.shtml
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:53 AM   #13
Mojo52

Quote:
Your chanter reed is too hard, but it sounds manageable, and it's probably not unreasonable for someone at your stage to still have stamina issues to a degree.

So the problem lies with your drones. Have a look at this article and see if you can figure out what the problem is. The only comment I'd add to it is to make sure the reed tenon is very securely seated in the reed seat - it should be moderately difficult to remove.

Thank you Callum will check the link out
Old 06-11-2019, 05:59 AM   #14
EKPB_piper
Forum Member

OK, so your corked up bag ( and presumably your blowstick/ valve doesn't leak (20 minutes before you can get any more air in is a pretty fabulous result!). Next make sure that the drones aren't leaking at the stock joint (they should not be easy to turn) then, lastly, that the chanter isn't too loose in the stock.

After that, are the drone reeds in your Booth set calibrated to the same cutoff value as the MacCallums?

Robert
EKPB
EKPB_piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:25 PM   #15
Mojo52

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKPB_piper View Post
OK, so your corked up bag ( and presumably your blowstick/ valve doesn't leak (20 minutes before you can get any more air in is a pretty fabulous result!). Next make sure that the drones aren't leaking at the stock joint (they should not be easy to turn) then, lastly, that the chanter isn't too loose in the stock.

After that, are the drone reeds in your Booth set calibrated to the same cutoff value as the MacCallums?

Robert
EKPB
Robert thank you for help I have checked everything made sure nothing is leaking and changed the drone reeds to Cannings and everything is now working great
Old 06-11-2019, 05:27 PM   #16
Mojo52

Quote:

Callum have managed to resolve the problem checked everything to make sure there was not any leaks and changed the drone reeds to Canning and all seems to good now. Thanks again for all your advice much appreciated
Old 06-12-2019, 07:47 AM   #17
Mojo52

Thanks everyone for your advice, I can now use my Booth pipes