Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums One of the largest message boards on the web ! bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Do It Yourself (DIY)
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself (DIY) Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:41 PM   #1
IsaacWalters
Forum Member

Default Bag cover trim

I am looking at diy'ing a bag cover and am wondering where to get trim.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:43 AM   #2
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Bag cover trim

Any decent sewing shop will have more options than you can shake a stick at.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:03 AM   #3
IsaacWalters
Forum Member

I have been at 3 or 4 sewing shops and have seen a ridiculous number of trims, but I am looking for something of a fringe like this (which they have not had)...

Old 08-21-2016, 08:19 AM   #4
Thom Lenahan
Holy smoking keyboard!

Maybe try Jolene at Hastings to see if she might sell some trim only......

http://www.hastingsbagcovers.com/index.html

Thom
Thom Lenahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:25 AM   #5
Andrew Lenz
Wizard of Oz

You'll likely be better off looking in an upholstery shop than a sewing shop—drapery fringe. I can tell you with absolute certainty that it's not manufactured just for making bagpipe bags.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:29 AM   #6
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Wow your local fabric shop must not have much variety. Our local shop has all of those pictured above.

It's called Naples Brush Fringe. I think for a bagcover you would want the 2".

Here

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...s+brush+fringe

Trickier to find is the metallic gold and silver fringe that looks right, the kind where each element of the fringe is a loop so it can't fray. It's usually either too narrow or too wide for bag covers.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 08-22-2016 at 03:34 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:54 PM   #7
SweetDrones
Forum Member

I got a nice kind of creamy, beige one from my local cheapo curtain/furnishing store, which though not gold, actually goes really nicely with the artificial ivory and dark green bagcover on my indestructible plastic smallpipes.

Online stores are also a good bet I would think.
SweetDrones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:11 PM   #8
IsaacWalters
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post

Trickier to find is the metallic gold and silver fringe that looks right, the kind where each element of the fringe is a loop so it can't fray. It's usually either too narrow or too wide for bag covers.
But Richard... I LIKE the frayed old wool yarn look! An olive or drab green would be perfect.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:48 PM   #9
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yes the Naples Brush fringe has that frayed yarn look. It's the style of fringe traditionally used on selfcoloured/plain bagcovers.

Tartan covers used the same stuff, but it was specially made in variegated colours to match the tartan.

The style of metallic fringe traditionally used on velvet bagcovers looks like this, only shorter.

It stays nice for years, doesn't fray.

There's a kind that looks pretty bad when it's new, and only gets worse later. Each strand has metallic stuff around a white core, and the ends are just chopped to length. New it comes with a basting or stabilizing thread that you're supposed to pull out when the sewing is finished. Legitimate UK-made covers didn't use this stuff, at least in the old days.

I'm interested in this because I've long made my own bagcovers, not all of them, but when I want something I can't find.

I also don't hesitate to put different fringe on an existing cover. Here's a DIY thread about switching out the fringe on a very nice blue velvet cover I got used that had nasty white fringe. I pondered putting matching blue fringe on it, then decided to go with metallic silver.

http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/...d.php?t=146393

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 08-22-2016 at 07:00 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:58 PM   #10
IsaacWalters
Forum Member

I think that looped and purled (twisted) fringe is often called Bullion (especially when in metallic threads). The bag currently on the pipes I have is wonderful and old, but I am not fond of the Gordon tartan (although I like tartan) as well as it is a shade small for my current bag. BTW... I am referring to the pipes I just posted to show on the AHOHH FaceBook page.