Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums One of the largest message boards on the web ! bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Do It Yourself (DIY)
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself (DIY) Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:46 PM   #1
DebbieC
Forum Member

Default Sticking it to my drone reeds...

I've been silent for a long time but I'm ready to start asking questions and reading up!

First question....is there any new technology to seating a drone read and making it stay put? Superglue ....nope no way never.....nada...not happening.

I have fresh bees wax from a friend that is nice and sticky (he took the wings, legs and other parts out...it's so beautiful), however I still don't have a 100% reliable seat. Maybe that's too much to hope for. I have one piece of hemp from the feed overlaying into the drone hemp to make it easier to "find" should it drop into my Canmore bag.

Thank you for your input, I'd really appreciate it!
DebbieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:06 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Sticking it to my drone reeds ...

What kind of reeds? What kind of pipes?
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:07 PM   #3
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

What make are your pipes and what reeds are you putting in them?

I have no trouble with simple beeswax as you describe so I can only guess that something is unique about the pipes or reeds.
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:16 PM   #4
DebbieC
Forum Member

McCallum pipes with the Kinnaird Carbon Fibres.....and on a side not if you tell me there is better technology in drone reeds be forewarned...I have "upgrade-itis"

Last edited by DebbieC; 07-29-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:37 PM   #5
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

Perhaps you need to ream your reed seats a little? You could also lightly thread them to give grip.

But first, I'd try good old fashioned Thermowaxed yellow hemp. Get some of the really sticky black stuff (Thermowax) and some regular old dry yellow hemp and wax it up and give that a try. If that doesn't do the trick it sounds like your reed seats might be too narrow and not allowing a good seat. If that's the case see my first comment.

Best of luck.

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:57 PM   #6
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I don't play McCallums but I do play original Kinnairds so I'm stumped. I make sure the hemp is angled just like the reed seat so it fills the space, but make sure you're getting them in as far as possible.
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:37 PM   #7
DebbieC
Forum Member

I've taken hemp off and thrown it out, re-hemped with the black sticky stuff and changed the angle of attack. I've even added the new beeswax to the black hemp. Maybe it hates my E Doublings...

Shawn, how does thermowax differ from beeswax...I wonder if this is the path to follow?
Patrick... I do have a hammer, would that work for getting them tight? In all seriousness I push them in hard with hand pressure....

Last edited by DebbieC; 07-29-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:05 PM   #8
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have played Kinnairds with McCallums. I never had a problem. I used waxed hemp and firmly seated them with a strand of hemp running into the tenon as "safety line."

Charlie
Old 07-30-2016, 10:20 AM   #9
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Debbie, are your pipes ABW or Poly? ( might make a difference as to sticking properties.)

There is a kind of wax fly-tiers use which is bees wax with rosin(i think) in it. I saw something similar called Blond Cobbler's wax for sale on some piping site. It would be stickier than plain bees' wax, but not as smoky-smelling as the black cobbler's wax.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:42 AM   #10
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
Debbie, are your pipes ABW or Poly? ( might make a difference as to sticking properties.)

There is a kind of wax fly-tiers use which is bees wax with rosin(i think) in it. I saw something similar called Blond Cobbler's wax for sale on some piping site. It would be stickier than plain bees' wax, but not as smoky-smelling as the black cobbler's wax.
'Johnnie Ring ' wax ( used when installing a new W.C. ) is ultra . Home Depot ..about $2. Unless the pipes are poly ...can't understand why this is an issue unless the seats are not proper. I've posted here prior where to buy a Hall's hand reaming tool as used by the big makers to ream reed seats. If you do this...don't go wild.

BTW...assume you have removed the rubber cones and replaced with stick-ied hemp?

Last edited by el gaitero; 07-30-2016 at 10:45 AM.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote