Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-17-2020, 05:34 PM   #1
DCYMPiper
Forum Member

Default Problem with the cutoff...

Hi all! I just received my new set of beautiful Naills pipes (DN3A) and I'm a little frustrated with the bag. Granted, it's been about 9 years since I've played and I know there's going to be some struggles to get back to where I was, but I believe the last bag I had was thicker and the cutoff was easy. This set came with a thin Bannatyne bag and no matter how much air I squeeze out of the bag, I can't get a clean cutoff. Has anyone else dealt with this? Also, any tricks to make it work, short of getting another bag?? Lol.

To keep the "why did you quit questions" from coming, (lol) I decided to focus on my drumming (kit not snare) because I play at church, but I couldn't stay away permanently from the instrument I love.

Anyway, if you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it!

"Who's choking the duck?!!!"
DCYMPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-17-2020, 05:48 PM   #2
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Problem with the cutoff...

I'm not familiar with that particular bag, but for me thin Gore-Tex bags require more thought and skill to get clean cut-offs.

I played one for a year in a band that required them. I had to think ahead and remember when to stop blowing, because the bag had to have very little air in it to get a clean cut-off.

Switching to a Gannaway was like heaven. Didn't seem to matter how much air was left in the bag, you just lift your arm off and the pipes cut off clean.

Then I switched to sheep and strike-ins and cut-offs were even easier.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:00 PM   #3
DCYMPiper
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
I'm not familiar with that particular bag, but for me thin Gore-Tex bags require more thought and skill to get clean cut-offs.

I played one for a year in a band that required them. I had to think ahead and remember when to stop blowing, because the bag had to have very little air in it to get a clean cut-off.

Switching to a Gannaway was like heaven. Didn't seem to matter how much air was left in the bag, you just lift your arm off and the pipes cut off clean.

Then I switched to sheep and strike-ins and cut-offs were even easier.
That's definitely the same thing I felt with my heavier bag. I might have to shell out more $$$ for another bag.

"Who's choking the duck?!!!"
DCYMPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:40 PM   #4
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

I would suggest another bag, as well. However--and this is extremely controversial--in lieu of another bag (assuming this is zippered), you could put in tone enhancers, ash plugs, or something similar. Yes, I know some will howl over the suggestion, but I'm just trying to suggest another option (though, as I said, I'd go with another bag if they were my pipes).
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:43 PM   #5
LloydB
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCYMPiper View Post
Hi all! I just received my new set of beautiful Naills pipes (DN3A) and I'm a little frustrated with the bag. Granted, it's been about 9 years since I've played and I know there's going to be some struggles to get back to where I was, but I believe the last bag I had was thicker and the cutoff was easy. This set came with a thin Bannatyne bag and no matter how much air I squeeze out of the bag, I can't get a clean cutoff. Has anyone else dealt with this? Also, any tricks to make it work, short of getting another bag?? Lol.[snipped]

Anyway, if you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it!
As you approach the cutoff, and attempt to empty
your bag, the weight of your drones presses into
the collapsing bag, partially maintaining pressure,
so your reeds continue to sound.

Continue to empty the bag early (more completely)
but also, at the end, raise your chanter, let your
bag swing forward, away from your arm and body.

This eliminates arm / body pressure and takes
much of the drone weight away from your bag,
onto your shoulder.

Last edited by LloydB; 02-17-2020 at 07:47 PM.
LloydB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:04 PM   #6
defenestrator
Forum Member

Drone valves or switch to a hide bag.
defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:16 PM   #7
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Iím going to go with your reed is too easy...or too strong...try a few inches stronger or lighter reed before shelling out $150+ for another bag.....and work to polish your cut off technique.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:34 AM   #8
Wulls

This is a perennial problem with "new tech"
The bags are more elastic & the reeds sound if you fart at them.
The answer is to use cane reeds & sheepskin.
The mitigation is to use drone valves.
The downside is if you use valves you won't ever learn proper technique.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:44 AM   #9
uther
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I have a bannatyne bag, no matter what I do one drone always wails a bit when I cut off, and that's with trying several different reeds.
i'm going the drone valve route (balance tone when they arrive)
When it's time to replace the bag I'll go for a hybrid most likely.
uther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:42 AM   #10
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Step 1 is to make sure your cutoff technique is correct.

Step 2 is to practice.

Yes, different bags and reeds make it easier or harder. None make it impossible, no matter what stage you're at.

That said - do a few minutes practice of this every day then do something else. Don't get overly wound up about it. It will get better with regular practice, not by spending an hour getting frustrated.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote