Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums One of the largest message boards on the web ! bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Do It Yourself (DIY)
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself (DIY) Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:52 AM   #1
Arthur M.
Forum Member

Default Frankenpipe info needed

Hello all,
I am missing either a chanter stock or a blow stick stock for my Glen/Lawrie Franken pipes. The stock that I have is of Glen make and is 3 1/2 inches long and has a 51/64" bore. I would appreciate any detail on the possible length and bore of the missing stock. Also wish to know which stock I actually have of the two possible, or are the two stocks the same size?
Cheers,

Arthur M.
Newcastle NSW
Arthur M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:01 AM   #2
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Frankenpipe info needed

My cocuswood D Glen:
chanter stock is 4” @ 0.772”
blowpipe stock is 3.5” @ 0.773”

So 49.4/64 isn’t really a thing but fairly close to your 51/64”.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:40 PM   #3
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

The blowpipe stock and chanter stock should be easy to tell apart.

For one thing the chanter stock should have a groove in it, for the bag seam when you tie in the stock.

They will be clearly different lengths too, the blowpipe stock is the shortest stock of the five, the chanter the next-shortest.

At 3.5 inches that would be the blowpipe stock. The bore would be called .797 in ordinary bagpipe spec lingo.

Here are the bores of a set of Glens and three different sets of Lawries from different periods

c1890 cocus & ivory Glen chanter .813 blowpipe .816

c1905 ebony, German Silver, & ivory Lawrie chanter & blowpipe .789

1940s ABW Lawrie chanter .78 blowpipe .749

old unknown date ABW Lawrie chanter & blowpipe .78

As you can see, in old pipes the chanter and blowpipe don't necessarily have the same bore, and either the chanter or the blowpipe can be the bigger of the two.

I have specs for ten different sets of stocks in front of me, and the chanter and blowpipe have different bores on half of them, and they're nearly evenly divided as to which is bigger.

Also on old pipes the bass stock and tenor stocks often have different bores from each other, and both bass and tenor stocks might be different from either the chanter or blowpipe stock.

Which is to say that if you're going to have to make or acquire a chanter stock for your Frankenpipes none of the other stocks can be used to reliably calculate what the bore of the chanter stock ought to be.

The ten different sets I measured have chanter stocks of .789 .813 .744 .8 .755 .76 .765 and three at .78

About the lengths, I usually don't bother measuring that, but from an old Lawrie set chanter 4 inches blowpipe 3 5/8 inches.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 11-12-2019 at 05:55 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:01 PM   #4
Arthur M.
Forum Member

Hello again,

Many thanks for the speedy reply to my question(s). More than enough information to make a reasonable guess at what the original missing stock would have looked like :-)
The stock that I have will of course become the model for the new stock.

Cheers all,

Arthur M.
Newcastle NSW Oz.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:49 PM   #5
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Just a bit longer, the chanter stock should probably be 4 inches long.

As to the bore, who can say!

If you have multiple sets of pipes you keep going, it makes sense to have as many sets as possible having the same chanter stock ID/bore, so that you can shift chanters from set to set without having to add or subtract hemp.

IMHO pipe bands should not only issue matched chanters but also matched chanter stocks. This is because the same chanter will give different scales when moved to different stocks, with different bores.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:42 PM   #6
Arthur M.
Forum Member

Hello all,

Another thank you for the info. But I must apologise because my original post was incomplete. The Frankenpipes are REEL pipes, not full size pipes. The size of the bore for a blowpipe stock would not matter, though the size of a chanter stock would matter, as is pointed out in one of the replies received today.
Hmm, more knowledge needed, apparently.

Cheers and Thanks.

Arthur M.