Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Ladies' Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ladies' Room For the Ladies.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-21-2017, 09:35 AM   #41
3D Piper
Forum Clasp

Default Re: You play like a girl!

I don't think we need the thought police here.

Anyone can make any comments they want. Sexes aside, drummers make fun of pipers, pipers make fun of drummers, pipers and pipe bands in general are made fun of by the general public, etc. If idiots make disparaging comments (for whatever reason), don't get mad and quit: prove them wrong by overcoming and succeeding.

Or, talk to the person making the comments. I recall taking my beginners (all young children) to a workshop. A drumming instructor had a 'potty mouth' and it scared one of my drummers (a girl) to where she did not want to go back. I went and talked to the instructor and he realized he was wrong and apologized and didn't do it anymore (at least around kids). In this instance, a friendly confrontation defused the situation and my student attended the rest of the lessons with the instructor.

-Matthew
Old 04-21-2017, 03:18 PM   #42
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Well in response to this discussion. There is at least one study in which it seems that gender-specific qualities in music (including performance) are a product of biases on the part of the listener and not the performer.

Granted, this was seemingly using only western classical music. The research does acknowledge that there are emotional and cognitive differences between males and females (not a valuative statement). However, it makes me wonder what results of the research would be like using different idioms in typical bagpipe music (say airs, marches, and Piobaireachd).

This study certainly did not uncover any gender differences in performance by male or females.

The study can be found here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3997045/

Charlie
Old 04-22-2017, 07:45 AM   #43
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Piper View Post
I don't think we need the thought police here.
Man considers situation that benefits him and decides situation is not a problem. Yeah, shut it down, people.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:59 PM   #44
Macswegan
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M Burke View Post
And the winning Quarterback in the superbowl...oh I forget her name... Anybody????

Paul
Yeah, OK. So, say there's a person in the next room who can bench press 300 pounds. Without looking in the room, I can say with great confidence that that person is a man.

In another room, someone just played a beautiful sprightly strathspey. Or a straightforward 2/4 march. Or a super-aggressive rendition of "Flame of Wrath." Without looking in the room, I couldn't tell whether the player was a man or a woman, and I don't think anyone else could, either.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:19 PM   #45
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M Burke View Post
And the winning Quarterback in the superbowl...oh I forget her name... Anybody????

Paul

No, she used to be an Olympic Decathalon Champion, Paul
Old 05-09-2017, 04:58 PM   #46
kaypiob
Holy smoking keyboard!

Nice to see some in the piping world have moved beyond the 1950s... others, not so much.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:47 AM   #47
Chris C.
Forum Regular

A comment like "you play like a girl" I'd expect perhaps from an ignorant, drunk punter in a bar, but not a piping judge. It's 2017, not 1917.
Chris C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:19 PM   #48
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default You play like a girl!

Wow...... the thread that keeps on giving, but I do agree that the judge's comments were either intentionally derogatory or made with significant ignorance.