Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-17-2018, 08:47 PM   #11
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Moisture Control Systems—suggestions please

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychodonald View Post

the Trap-Dri with silica gel bag might be the direction I'll go..

thumb:
Fwiw...I think the trap-dri would be a very high % superfluous...as the gel would absorb the major remainder % of the moisture,leaving 0 to no moisture to be poured off from the trap-dri.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-23-2018, 08:52 AM   #12
Mainebagpipes
Forum Member

Keep in mind, the Bannatyne Dri-Flos are not the same as the silica bags/cannisters. They attach directly to the drone stocks, but not the blowpipe or chanter stocks. My current setup is a trap-dri tube/ bottle (which one depends on the set of pipes), plus Dri-Flo tubes for the drones. The tube/bottle/Trap-Dri lets some moisture into the bag for the chanter reed, and the Dri-Flos keep it out of my drones. Your milage may vary, but it works well for me with a Bannatyne hybrid bag.
Mainebagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:13 AM   #13
psychodonald
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Spoke to my pipe teacher this past Saturday and she was telling me about the use of a Moose Valve, which according to her, also acts as a water trap, to a degree. My teacher classifies herself as a "dry blower" and she uses the Moose Valve as her only means of moisture control in all of her pipes. Further, she mentioned that the Moose Valve replaces the flapper valve at the bottom of the blow pipe and enhances air flow.

Would be most interested in your opinions regarding the use of the Moose Valve. I'm wondering if this device may be all I need to control moisture in the dry climate that I play in?

My Acetyl McCullum AP4's are a few weeks away from delivery, so I suppose that I will not know, for certain, what is needed until I have a chance to play them.

I also wonder if the addition of a Moose Valve would make additional moisture control devices, like the Trap-dri system, being attached to the blow pipe base, more difficult to install? Thanks.

Last edited by psychodonald; 07-03-2018 at 12:30 AM.
psychodonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:09 AM   #14
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Moose valves are good valves, and good at collecting spit so that it runs out (onto you) when you’re not paying attention and your blowpipe is pointed downwards. I’m not sure that has anything to do with moisture from your breath. I actually prefer regular, blowpipe mounted valves.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:12 AM   #15
psychodonald

Thanks Patrick, I to have always used the standard blow pipe valve and have not experienced any problems. What you said about the Moose Valve and the collection of spit makes sense. I doubt it has much impact upon collection of moisture from the breath, but I could be wrong.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:33 AM   #16
psychodonald

Thanks Patrick, I to have always used the standard blow pipe valve and have not experienced any problems. What you said about the Moose Valve and the collection of spit makes sense. I doubt it has much impact upon collection of moisture from the breath, but I could be wrong.

Based upon the posts thus far, I think I'll try the Trap-dri tube/bottle system and add to it if necessary. I really appreciate the feedback from all that posted, has given me a lot to think about and consider--very helpful.

Last edited by psychodonald; 07-04-2018 at 03:36 AM.