Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-11-2018, 10:47 PM   #1
Tom Frasher
Forum Member

Default Chanter reed too weak?

It seems that when I strike in the drones, I am simultaneously striking in the chanter reed;it's a Soutar easy reed,Maybe a wee bit too easy, any medium strength reads I can try out that you guys can suggest? Thanks!
Tom Frasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-12-2018, 05:24 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Chanter read too weak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frasher View Post
It seems that when I strike in the drones, I am simultaneously striking in the chanter reed;it's a Soutar easy reed,Maybe a wee bit too easy, any medium strength reads I can try out that you guys can suggest? Thanks!
It’s hard to play an easy reed ....well.

Before trying any of about 5-6 other brands of reeds or a medium Soutar..why not try to develop your own higher level of sophistication in striking in your instrument. More slowly,..controlled...get the (all) drones going contemporaneously ...up to near full playing pressure...before allowing the chanter to chime in.
Take it slowly....watch yourself in a mirror. Examine your strike in technique. Btw....ensure your reeds are set very efficiently.

When you are playing all and the reeds are warmed...play a tune you are very comfortable with. In the midst of playing it with the bag rock hard and drones steady..give a slight overpressure puff on low A. If the reed gurgles easily on low A...yes ...too light for you ..and/or you’re overblowing a tad too much. Back off.

It’s hard to not play an easy reed too hard. Practice and experience can help get it sorted.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:41 AM   #3
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Try a reed poker, wonderful thing for reviving easy chanter reeds.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:54 AM   #4
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

You can also pinch the sides to open the mouth a bit but not a long term solution. Another thing I have done to resurrect reeds because I'm a reed squeezer is to cut the binding off after marking the cane, staple and measure length so it goes back together the same. Then opening up the staple to a nice original oval shape then retie very tightly starting at the hemp end. I have done this a bunch of time and has always worked great!

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink
John Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #5
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

If you can't have the drones sounding without the chanter speaking, the drones aren't set right.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:07 PM   #6
Tom Frasher
Forum Member

Default Re: Chanter reed too weak?

Disclaimer: I have had the same reed for over a year, so I'm sure I'm due for a new one.
With that being said, what was happening was, I would strike in the drones but simultaneously striking in the reed as well,And that is with no pressure on my arm doing this so I'm pretty sure I have worn it out, I'm going to try a McGarity medium reed Which I'm sure is going to take some breaking in,But I'm ready for the next step, cheers

Last edited by Tom Frasher; 07-17-2018 at 12:09 PM. Reason: grammar error
Tom Frasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:37 PM   #7
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Chanter reed too weak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frasher View Post
Disclaimer: I have had the same reed for over a year, so I'm sure I'm due for a new one.
With that being said, what was happening was, I would strike in the drones but simultaneously striking in the reed as well,And that is with no pressure on my arm doing this so I'm pretty sure I have worn it out, I'm going to try a McGarity medium reed Which I'm sure is going to take some breaking in,But I'm ready for the next step, cheers
If you’re already playing soutar and happy with it ...why not get a medium Soutar.
Fwiw...Shepherd standard reeds get my vote. Try a couple of easy and essy-medium strength. Pipers Hut ..OH.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote