Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-09-2019, 11:23 AM   #1
Mojo52
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default New pipes issue

I have just bought a new set of Booth Pipes with a small bag, I have been learning on McCallum Pipes with a medium bag. I am struggling to blow a tune with the new Booth Pipes the reed continually cuts out, I have to stop after trying one tune, I have no blow left and I get light headed. I have gone back to the McCallum's, I now have a new set of pipes at the moment I cannot play, any advice would be very much appreciated, on how I master my new pipes.
Mojo52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-09-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: New pipes issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo52 View Post
I have just bought a new set of Booth Pipes with a small bag, I have been learning on McCallum Pipes with a medium bag. I am struggling to blow a tune with the new Booth Pipes the reed continually cuts out, I have to stop after trying one tune, I have no blow left and I get light headed. I have gone back to the McCallum's, I now have a new set of pipes at the moment I cannot play, any advice would be very much appreciated, on how I master my new pipes.
No disrespect intended ....at your experience level it is very likely noo the pipes unless the Booth bag is actually leaking somewhy.
. In Falkirk you are within a stones’ throw of a top notch piping instructor....Neil Clark of Falkirk Piping.
Check it out on YouTube...reach out to him...in less than a year you wish you’d done so a year before.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:46 AM   #3
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Are you using the same reeds you had in the McCallums? I agree that it could be a leaky bag (easy enough to check by corking all off and blowing up the bag). Or it could be drone or chanter reeds sucking air.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:00 PM   #4
Mojo52

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
No disrespect intended ....at your experience level it is very likely noo the pipes unless the Booth bag is actually leaking somewhy.
. In Falkirk you are within a stones’ throw of a top notch piping instructor....Neil Clark of Falkirk Piping.
Check it out on YouTube...reach out to him...in less than a year you wish you’d done so a year before.
I know Neil, bag not leaking, would changing from a medium to small bag be an issue
Old 06-09-2019, 12:02 PM   #5
Mojo52

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquusRacer View Post
Are you using the same reeds you had in the McCallums? I agree that it could be a leaky bag (easy enough to check by corking all off and blowing up the bag). Or it could be drone or chanter reeds sucking air.
I am using the same reeds, would changing from a medium to a small bag be an issue
Old 06-09-2019, 01:49 PM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Quote:
I know Neil, bag not leaking, would changing from a medium to small bag be an issue
...only for about 5 minutes IMO. Thereafter.you’d have no’ large’ issue ( lol) tho a larger bag might seem more comfortable for you. Unknown what brand bag we’re discussing..but the S-M-L differences by some makers is not necessarily so great.
good that you know Neil....let’s us know how it goes.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:56 PM   #7
Mojo52

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
...only for about 5 minutes IMO. Thereafter.you’d have no’ large’ issue ( lol) tho a larger bag might seem more comfortable for you. Unknown what brand bag we’re discussing..but the S-M-L differences by some makers is not necessarily so great.
good that you know Neil....let’s us know how it goes.
Both hybrid medium Canmore on the McCallum, small Bannatyne on the Booth. Will keep you posted on how I get on
Old 06-09-2019, 02:06 PM   #8
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:

Both hybrid medium Canmore on the McCallum, small Bannatyne on the Booth. Will keep you posted on how I get on
New hybrid Canmore gets my vote. ..and only 3/4” height diff between M and the L. Don’t know the Bannatyne sizes anymore....good bag tho.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #9
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

You need to be systematic about this.

Firstly, test the bag for airtightness. Cork all the stocks, get as much air as you can into it, and time how long it takes before you can get more air in. Tell us what that number is.

Secondly, try the chanter on its own with the drone stocks corked. Is it manageable: can you play through a few tunes without squeaks, discomfort, or chokes?

Thirdly, do the same with the drones only. Are the drones completely comfortable and steady, such that you can play them without exertion for half an hour or so?
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:07 PM   #10
Mojo52

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
You need to be systematic about this.

Firstly, test the bag for airtightness. Cork all the stocks, get as much air as you can into it, and time how long it takes before you can get more air in. Tell us what that number is.

Secondly, try the chanter on its own with the drone stocks corked. Is it manageable: can you play through a few tunes without squeaks, discomfort, or chokes?

Thirdly, do the same with the drones only. Are the drones completely comfortable and steady, such that you can play them without exertion for half an hour or so?
Will try all of this tomorrow and let you know.