Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Teacher's Lounge
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Teacher's Lounge Pedagogy - the art or profession of teaching

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #1
Pppiper
Forum Regular

Default Bagpipe teaching accreditation?

Something of a random question. I stumbled across an older posting about a scholarship application, and it says that applicants must have a recommendation letter from an "accredited instructor?"

http://www.naapd.org/view_news.php?r=37

Does anyone know what in the heck this means? I've never heard of any teaching accreditation for piping.
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #2
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Default Re: Bagpipe teaching accreditation?

The WUSPBA has been coming up with some sort of accreditation process- something similar might exist in other organizations. A board-approved accreditor listens to/watches play/questions the person seeking accreditation and if they score high enough/show a satisfactory level of skill/competence their name goes on a list of accredited/approved instructors.
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:10 AM   #3
Pppiper
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggyMcPipes View Post
The WUSPBA has been coming up with some sort of accreditation process- something similar might exist in other organizations. A board-approved accreditor listens to/watches play/questions the person seeking accreditation and if they score high enough/show a satisfactory level of skill/competence their name goes on a list of accredited/approved instructors.
Interesting, good to know.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:44 AM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
Interesting, good to know.
I be.eive euspba has or started to have a program leading to such....check out the website ...under resources?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:21 PM   #5
Army.Bagpiper
Forum Member

I wonder what is the primary motivation and rationale of creating a U.S. programme?

The Scottish Piping and Drumming Qualification Board (PDQB) offers Certificates to Pipers, Pipe Band Drummers, Tutors and Teachers of Piping and Pipe Band Drumming.

According to their own website, The PDQB is the certificating body for a range of qualifications offered jointly by The Army School of Bagpipe Music and Highland Drumming, The College of Piping, The National Piping Centre, The Piobaireachd Society and The Royal Scottish Pipe Band Association (RSPBA).

This is an organization composed of a vast amount of subject matter expertise and credibility.

Is there a greater benefit to creating a U.S. system for U.S. pipers to follow when they could follow the worldwide recognized PDQB path of certification?

If the idea is to encourage the standardization of instruction in order to:

- recognize those who are talented and capable of becoming certified instructors
- establish a program for the establishment and sustainment of a population of instructors who can provide a high level of quality instruction
- sustain and maintain or increase a higher level of U.S. piping through high quality instruction
- groom future prospective talented U.S. instructors

would it not make sense to utilize a path already in existence, which is supported by organizations known for promoting and maintaining piping at the highest levels and to adopt and support that method of certification in the U.S.?

Just a thought...
Army.Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:56 AM   #6
Pppiper
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army.Bagpiper View Post
I wonder what is the primary motivation and rationale of creating a U.S. programme?
It all seems rather excessive to me. BUT ... I will concede that the mentioned EUSPBA program seems centered around an in-person assessment, and reward of the sought-after certification if/when completed successfully.

I do think, according to the areas covered, that only an in-person review would be able to adequately gauge a player in such a fashion. Thus, I would hardly think that traveling to Scotland for such things should be necessary for any/all seeking certification.

That's my thinking, anyway.

Cheers,
~Nate
Old 08-25-2017, 08:07 AM   #7
Army.Bagpiper
Forum Member

According to the PDQB webpage located at:
https://pdqb.org/examination-centres-assessors/

The webpage gives the following:

PDQB-approved Assessors are currently based in the following countries:
◾United Kingdom
◾Australia
◾Canada
◾Ireland
◾New Zealand
◾Northern Ireland
◾Oman
◾United States of America
◾Germany

They should probably have noted the point of contact for each of the approved assessors in those countries as well.

j
Old 08-25-2017, 08:37 AM   #8
Pppiper
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army.Bagpiper View Post
ing:

PDQB-approved Assessors are currently based in the following countries:

United Kingdom

Australia

Canada

Ireland

New Zealand

Northern Ireland

Oman

United States of America

Germany

j

Well in that case I retract my statement. I imagine they have their reasons, but I won't speculate as to what they are.

Thanks for the info.
Cheers,
~Nate
Old 08-25-2017, 08:39 AM   #9
Army.Bagpiper
Forum Member

It will be interesting to see how this progresses.