Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-05-2016, 12:29 PM   #51
John Dally
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Highland bagpipes originated in the Iberian Peninsula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leong View Post
(And as for the Lost Tribe, given the intervening time, they could be anywhere by now)
I think I saw them wearing baseball caps with their kilts at Manxville.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #52
Tjones79
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leong View Post
I have no idea whence came the pipes to Scotland, but Roman roads and Pax Romana did establish the conditions where ideas, language, trade and the like could spread further than before.

(And as for the Lost Tribe, given the intervening time, they could be anywhere by now)
There is new evidence out as to influence of the Celts on early Europe. Many of the things Romans are given credit for, i.e. roads,trade, were laid out and done, by the Celts.
Graham Robb in his book The Discovery of Middle Earth: Mapping the Lost World of the Celts offers a new look, and understanding about their influence.

“Fifty generations ago the cultural empire of the Celts stretched from the Black Sea to Ireland and the Highlands of Scotland. In six hundred years, the Celts had produced some of the finest artistic and scientific masterpieces of the ancient world. In 58 BC, Julius Caesar marched over the Alps, bringing slavery and genocide to western Europe. Within eight years the Celts of what is now France were utterly annihilated, and in another hundred years the Romans had overrun Britain. It is astonishing how little remains of this great civilization.
While planning a bicycling trip along the Heraklean Way, the ancient route from Portugal to the Alps, Graham Robb discovered a door to that forgotten world―a beautiful and precise pattern of towns and holy places based on astronomical and geometrical measurements: this was the three-dimensional “Middle Earth” of the Celts. As coordinates and coincidences revealed themselves across the continent, a map of the Celtic world emerged as a miraculously preserved archival document.”

This doesn’t explain much about bagpipes, but trade in the Celtic world was going on long before the Romans and covering vast distances.
Tjones79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:04 AM   #53
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dally View Post
Your position, as I understand it, is that no one played Highland bagpipes before 1780.
I think you would need to try really hard to ignore what I wrote to come to that conclusion.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:34 AM   #54
K Sanger
Forum Silver Medal

Back in 2010 the editor of Common Stock raised the question regarding the term 'highland bagpipe' and when it was first used. From the contemporary historical background as apposed in Hugh's case from the material artefacts I came to a similar conclusion albeit perhaps some 30 years earlier.
If the link works it should take you to an online version of the article.

https://www.academia.edu/7519753/Wha...was_first_used

Keith
K Sanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #55
John Dally
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
I think you would need to try really hard to ignore what I wrote to come to that conclusion.
What is your point then?
Old 08-06-2016, 10:42 AM   #56
John Dally
Holy smoking keyboard!

Both King James VI/I and Henry VIII had bagpipes at their court, and perhaps even played them himself. Do these pipes have any relation to the pipes "Highlanders" play today? I doubt it. But was the music similar to the theme and variation type of music we call "ceol mor", which itself is a late Victorian term? Or the 17th century theme and variation set style that Dixon and Peacock eventually pricked down?

New research reveals that the lost tribe of Israel have been brought together to form the SPIRIT OF SCOTLAND pipe band.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:00 AM   #57
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

Actually we never lost any tribes. King Hezekia spoke of men of all the northern tribes gathering for the Passover in Jerusalem. Then the hills of Judea were terraced and planted in a massive expansion of agriculture, as refugees from the Assyrian invasion flooded in to central and southern Israel.

Some of the found tribes are always playing at the Worlds. It is kept quiet to avoid BDS demonstrations or calls for boycotting the games. I've always been very proud of the powers that be in piping for accepting pipers of all national backgrounds.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:50 PM   #58
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dally View Post
What is your point then?

I'm at a loss for how to say it more simply.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #59
tjm
Forum Clasp

From "L'Histoire d'Amour de Scotland"
In 1623, Sir John-Thomas Succès-Avec-Les-Dames commissioned A Grand Pipe to Woo Ladies. His amorous pursuits were spoken of with intense, but hushed tones, his top hand dexterity quickly became legend. Other gentleman followed suit, commissioning similar instruments, et viola, by 1627, The Great Highland Pipe had been born.

Sir John-Thomas Succès-Avec-Les-Dames met an early end to his life while serenading a Lady one evening. A passerby, upon hearing the skurl of the pipes, flew into a disharmonious rage, seized the bass drone from Sir John-Thomas's shoulder, and promptly clubbed him to death. Ironically, if it were not for the heavy decorative elements introduced on A Grand Pipe to Woo Ladies, Succès-Avec-Les-Dames would likely have survived the attack, living long enough for his pursuits to extend beyond the Northern provinces, and would therefore have appeared broadly in the historical records of his time.
Who knows, it could have been like that ...

--Tim
tjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:17 AM   #60
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm View Post
From "L'Histoire d'Amour de Scotland"
In 1623, Sir John-Thomas Succès-Avec-Les-Dames commissioned A Grand Pipe to Woo Ladies. SNIP
Who knows, it could have been like that ...

--Tim

I can see it now In Xanadu did Kublai Khan...... No, on second thought, I can't. Let's not even go there.